From: Neville Conder <nconder@internode.on.net>
Subject: [LRRSA] Kiama tramway
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Cc: LocoShed@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 13 November, 2010, 5:16

Afternoon all

Been visiting the local museum in Kiama today and have a query.

It had a list of locomotives that worked on the tramway and the time they were there. A interesting one was as follows: 1927, Gibson Battle, petrol electric Ex Avon Dam, built in April 1921.

I thought I knew a lot about the tramway but this a new one for me. Does anyone have any information on this loco. Did it actual work on the tramway.

Any information would be appreciated.

Neville

neville conder

Thanks Richard for your reply on my query.
I have been searching the web about Gibson Battle to see if they were manufacturers or just suppliers/agents. There is a photo of there factory in Sydney in 1920s and that they were taken over by Tutt Bryant in 1961. Any more information on this company and there products (possibly photos) would be appreciated.
Neville

I have a note that this loco was in use at Kiama ex Avon Dam in1938 and derelict there in 1956. I also have a note that there was a standard gauge Gibson Battle loco of 1927, used on the quarry floor, derelict by 1936 and also extant in 1956.

I do not now know the source of this information, so advise that it be treated with a degree of caution, particularly the standard gauge loco and the dates associated with it. Corroboration or otherwise welcomed.

Richard Horne

Been visiting the local museum in Kiama today and have a query.

It had a list of locomotives that worked on the tramway and the time they were there. A interesting one was as follows: 1927, Gibson Battle, petrol electric Ex Avon Dam, built in April 1921.

I thought I knew a lot about the tramway but this a new one for me. Does anyone have any information on this loco. Did it actual work on the tramway.

Any information would be appreciated.

Neville

bjr2105

Neville,

Gibson Battle were a well known general machinery merchant and I remember their catalogue was a very well used document in the Babcock & Wilcox drawing office where I worked many years ago.

Have you tried searching on the NLA website? There are more than 10,000 entries for Gibson Battle there. Try the following weblink:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q= <http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=&;exactPhrase=gibson+battle&anyWords=&notWords=&l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&fromdd=&frommm=&fromyyyy=&todd=&tomm=&toyyyy=&l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&sortby> &exactPhrase=gibson+battle&anyWords=&notWords=&l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&fromdd=&frommm=&fromyyyy=&todd=&tomm=&toyyyy=&l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*&sortby=

or, if that’s too hard to copy and paste, try the abbreviated version that takes you to exactly the same place:

http://tinyurl.com/35g2fkx

Happy hunting…!

Bruce Rankin

[...]

Mark Trainbrain

Hi,
Just further to the original query, in case this detail was missed, there was more than one tramway in the Kiama area. Aside from the well known ~2' gauge tram, one was standard gauge between another quarry and wharf and used an ex NSWGT steam tram motor, perhaps others. What gauge was used at Avon Dam?
Cheers,
Mark K

On 13/11/2010 4:16 PM, Neville Conder wrote:
Afternoon all
Been visiting the local museum in Kiama today and have a query.
It had a list of locomotives that worked on the tramway and the time they were there. A interesting one was as follows: 1927, Gibson Battle, petrol electric Ex Avon Dam, built in April 1921.
I thought I knew a lot about the tramway but this a new one for me. Does anyone have any information on this loco. Did it actual work on the tramway.
Any information would be appreciated.
Neville

rthorne475

Further to my previous comments on the Kiama quarry's internal combustion locos, I've now spoken to Bruce Macdonald.  He confirms that on a visit to the quarry c1947, there were traces of standard gauge track in the upper quarry (further along Terralong Street, to the west of the quarry in which the 2'0" gauge locos worked).  It was several hundred yards from the quarry face to the crusher so he felt it was quite plausible that a (standard gauge) loco was used,

Bruce said that there were two standard gauge Purcell/Caldwell Vale i.c. locos used at Minnamurra Quarry on the South Coast, so one could conceivably have ended up at Kiama.  Bruce discovered one of this pair 'quite recently' (i.e. about 40 years ago!) among the junk in the quarryman's yard of Cleary Bros., Bombo.

Re the standard gauge quarry line at Kiama, using ex NSWGT steam tram locos, that Mark refers to, there were in fact two such operations.  They were not actually in Kiama, but just to the north at Bombo.  The Bombo Old State Quarry used ex NSWGT motors 51A and 54A.  The Bombo Railway Quarry used ex NSWGT motors 11A, 53A and 118A (originally 17, then N20), as well as NSWGR Vulcan Iron Works 0-4-0ST 1218 (later 1023).

Although Bruce has some works photographs and other information on Gibson Battle, he has no record of all the i.c. locos produced, nor knowledge of where or if any company records survive.

Richard Horne.

[...]

Hi Richard, all,
The standard gauge higher up in the quarry wouldn't have been for a rail mounted steam navvy, would it? In the Terralong Tracks book there is a photo of a tracked steam navvy simply credited as being at Kiama. The same book has views of the Pikes Hill quarry, with 2' gauge lines running to the upper level of the quarry, though no steam navvies are visible in the photos of the quarry itself. A diagram shows extensive 2' gauge access to the quarry face, including wagon turntables, so would likely have been animal or hand worked at that level.
-Mark

On 18/11/2010 6:01 AM, richard horne wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

neville conder

Hi all
Thanks for the information on the Kiama tramway. At the museum it gave a timeline of all the locomotives that worked on the tramway to Pikes Hill down Terralong Street to the harbour and to the railway yard. I'll have to contact the museum to see where the information came from as it was not there 5 or 6 years ago when I last went there. I might have to go this lunchtime to see what I can find out.
The steam shovel I suspect it might be in one of the quarries at Bombo. Even though Terralong Tracks was an interesting book it was a bit short on detail but at least it brought my attention to the tramway. Don Cottee one of the authors when he moved from Kiama in the 90's I had to remove wheel sets from under his house for the new owner. But I didn't think they came from Kiama as the gauge was around 2' 4" so I suspect they came from a factory somewhere.
On another query in the National Library photos there are photos of the Nestles factory at Abbortford with a tramway running to wharf on the Parramatta River.
Thats enough for today I better get back to work
Neville

The standard gauge higher up in the quarry wouldn't have been for a
rail mounted steam navvy, would it? In the Terralong Tracks book there
is a photo of a tracked steam navvy simply credited as being at Kiama.
The same book has views of the Pikes Hill quarry, with 2' gauge lines
running to the upper level of the quarry, though no steam navvies are
visible in the photos of the quarry itself. A diagram shows extensive 2'
gauge access to the quarry face, including wagon turntables, so would
likely have been animal or hand worked at that level.
-Mark

On 18/11/2010 6:01 AM, richard horne wrote:
> Further to my previous comments on the Kiama quarry's internal combustion locos, I've now spoken to Bruce Macdonald. He confirms that on a visit to the quarry c1947, there were traces of standard gauge track in the upper quarry (further along Terralong Street, to the west of the quarry in which the 2'0" gauge locos worked). It was several hundred yards from the quarry face to the crusher so he felt it was quite plausible that a (standard gauge) loco was used,
>
> Bruce said that there were two standard gauge Purcell/Caldwell Vale i.c. locos used at Minnamurra Quarry on the South Coast, so one could conceivably have ended up at Kiama. Bruce discovered one of this pair 'quite recently' (i.e. about 40 years ago!) among the junk in the quarryman's yard of Cleary Bros., Bombo.
>
> Re the standard gauge quarry line at Kiama, using ex NSWGT steam tram locos, that Mark refers to, there were in fact two such operations. They were not actually in Kiama, but just to the north at Bombo. The Bombo Old State Quarry used ex NSWGT motors 51A and 54A. The Bombo Railway Quarry used ex NSWGT motors 11A, 53A and 118A (originally 17, then N20), as well as NSWGR Vulcan Iron Works 0-4-0ST 1218 (later 1023).
>
> Although Bruce has some works photographs and other information on Gibson Battle, he has no record of all the i.c. locos produced, nor knowledge of where or if any company records survive.
>
> Richard Horne.

The Bickfords <womloc4@...>

Hi Neville,

Gibson Battle were the agents for the Shay locomotive in Australia.

There was series of articles about the Kiama Tramway by Ken McCarthy in Trolley Wire, issues 166,167 & 168 in 1976.
It refers to the Gibson Battle petrol electric loco and includes a photo of the remains in the late 1950's
The loco was originally supplied in 1921 for the construction of Avon dam and came to Kiama in 1927.

The ARHS Bulletin for October 1989 has an article by John Newland about the various locos tendered for use at Wyangala Dam.
Included in the large list of locos offered is a Gibson Battle petrol electric, so they must have supplied a few locos over the years.

cheers,
Mike Bickford

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

neville conder

Hi Mike
Looking on the NLA website one of the articles was about the shays for the Wolgan Valley been erected at Everley workshops for Gibson Battle.
Neville

> Thanks for the information on the Kiama tramway. At the museum it gave a
> timeline of all the locomotives that worked on the tramway to Pikes Hill
> down Terralong Street to the harbour and to the railway yard. I'll have to
> contact the museum to see where the information came from as it was not
> there 5 or 6 years ago when I last went there. I might have to go this
> lunchtime to see what I can find out.
> The steam shovel I suspect it might be in one of the quarries at Bombo.
> Even though Terralong Tracks was an interesting book it was a bit short on
> detail but at least it brought my attention to the tramway. Don Cottee one
> of the authors when he moved from Kiama in the 90's I had to remove wheel
> sets from under his house for the new owner. But I didn't think they came
> from Kiama as the gauge was around 2' 4" so I suspect they came from a
> factory somewhere.
> On another query in the National Library photos there are photos of the
> Nestles factory at Abbortford with a tramway running to wharf on the
> Parramatta River.
> Thats enough for today I better get back to work
> Neville

saundersbruce78 <bjsaunders1@...>

Further to the comments on Bombo Railway Quarry I can confirm that the three steam trams were in service at Bombo by a document containing fusible plug change records being boiler numbers 11A, 53A,118A. The dates in service(at least the fusible plugs were being changed was from April 1927 till August 1929 then shows out of service from then till the document finishes December 1935.

Also Vulcan locomotive 1022 was on loan to Bombo November/December 1927.Then to Enfield Then back to Bombo Quarry May 1931 till December 1931.

Vulcan Locomotive 1023 from January 1928 till August 1928 then out of service at Bombo before being transferred back to Thirroul as spare.Then to Enfield before back to Bombo for April 1931 only.

It would be interesting to know if there are any documents showing locomotive transfers or weekly notices etc for this time period.It would also be interesting to find out when these steam trams were eventually scrapped. It all adds to the bigger picture.
Regards
Bruce Saunders

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, richard horne <rthorne475@...> wrote:

[...]

From information that I have, all three steam tram motors were scrapped in
1938, but I have no idea in which month(s).

Tram motor 11A was sent to Railways Bombo Quarry, ex-Newcastle, in December
1926

Tram motor 53A was sent to Railways Bombo Quarry, ex-Newcastle, in May 1927

Tram motor 118A was sent to Railways Bombo Quarry, ex-Newcastle, in November
1926

It is interesting to note that these would have steamed from Newcastle to
Sydney to Bombo under their own power, but the usual maximum speed was 4
m.p.h., especially through points and crossings due to the tramway profile
wheels, which would have made for a VERY long travel time indeed…!

From my knowledge of the Weekly Notices, there is nothing in them for the
periods in question, as they stopped giving transfer info for steam trams in
them around 1917.

As you say, more for the bigger picture.

Bruce Rankin

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au> ,
[...]

Terry

I was fascinated to read the items about the Kiama blue metal tramway
and thank the several contributors for some very interesting information

As a very young enthusiast in the 1940s I walked the branch line from
the NSWGR yard and the main line from the wharf to the quarry and
although the years have dimmed my memory somewhat I can clearly remember
being fascinated by the sight of a diminutive steam locomotive just
behind a fence but close to the public road and a number of wagons under
the crushers. At that stage the quarry was not operating and lantana had
started to intrude

Being young and in fear of parental or police retribution I resisted the
urge to enter the enclosed area at the quarry although I did walk out
along the tracks above the bins on the wharf - with fear of falling into
the bins. How I wished I could have gone closer to the locomotive and
peeked into the engine shed!

I am intrigued to read remarks about standard guage operations in the
Kiama quarries and even more so about about such a line to a wharf and
hope that someone will write more about the latter and indicate where
the wharf was located

Thanks for enjoyment

Terry