Longworth Tramway

coals_to_newcastle

I am currently trying to model the Longworth tramway @ Kendall (NSW) and I am seeking help.

I have read a number of good articles in Light Raiways, (eg no 131, Apr 1991), however I am wondering anybody can supply any additional information to the following questions:

i) What was the standard curve radius? A 3.5 chain curve is referred to, but a deviation was put in place. Other curves radius?
ii) What gradients applied, specific info? One article refers to gradients as steep as 1 in 25.
iii) Any details on passing loops - length and locations? A siding is referred to in one article at Tipperary, was this a loop or a dead end?
iv) Any track plans for mill at Kendall?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

John Dimitrievich <johnd@...>

Dear Peter,

Can I suggest you locate a copy of Oct 2005 Australian Model Railway
Magazine,

I think you'll find the feature layout in that issue particularly of
interest...

What scale are you looking to model Longworths in?

Happy Modelling and Researching,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

coals_to_newcastle

Hi Prof Klyzir,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have had a look at the article and it has some interesting info.

In answer to your question about scale, I suppose that I am working in 1:1 scale, as I am trying to build the route in Microsoft Train Simulator.

If you are interested I have a site where I have done "mainline" routes, but am now attempting a logging tramway.

The site is:

www.coalstonewcastle.com.au

Therefore the more info the better, even if it is a good educated guess.

For example some accurate info about location of loading ramps and sidings would be helpful, etc.

Thanks

Peter