Topics

Historical Acts of Parliment -railway construction

gould_scott <sncs@...>

Hi All,

While looking for railway information on the web, I found the following web site:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/

Which has acts authorising the construction of various Victorian railway and tram lines.

Regards,

Scott

David in Avenel

I am having great trouble getting this website to work. I keep getting to
the point of downloading a file and then it goes haywire. Things like Adobe
says "does not start with a %pdf" or something. Nothing opens. If I try and
"save to" it saves it as a browser document and I then find that freezes my
PC. Anyone else having any success, obviously you are Scott but not me.

--
cheers
David in Avenel.

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...>

David Langley wrote:
I am having great trouble getting this website to work. I keep getting to
the point of downloading a file and then it goes haywire. Things like Adobe
says "does not start with a %pdf" or something. Nothing opens. If I try and
"save to" it saves it as a browser document and I then find that freezes my
PC. Anyone else having any success, obviously you are Scott but not me.
I don't have any problems accessing it either with firefox at home or with IE and chrome at work. It is a highly reputable and reliable site.

Hi All,

While looking for railway information on the web, I found the following web
site:
http://www.austlii.edu.au

PH

Morning All,

I was told at a dinner last night that the standard gauge track between
Albury and Melbourne is out of service, and that no program is in place
for repair, and that buses are being used to transport passengers from
Albury to Melbourne.

Can this be true???

Philip Hammon
Managing Director
Scenic World, Blue Mountains
Cnr Violet Street & Cliff Drive
Katoomba Australia NSW 2780
PO Box 1042 Katoomba NSW 2780
T +61 (0) 2 47 800 200
F +61 (0) 2 47 825 675
Direct Ext +61 (0) 2 47 800 220
www.scenicworld.com.au

[...]

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and
the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of
the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and
opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA
member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

Bill Russell

G'day Philip,

The whole story is told on Raiolpage/Victoria/NorthEast to Std Gauge (or there
abouts). All 234 pages of it! Here is the link:

http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11335280-s3345.htm

For various reasons the upgrade to the existing standard gauge (concrete sleeper
replacement) was not as good as it should have been. The line developed mud holes which
made travel for passenger trains (XPT) too slow to run a realistic time table. Hence the
busses, The recent heavy rain in the area won't have helped. Freight trains are still using
the line at reduced speed (in some locations). Your informant's "out of service" was not quite
accurate.

The west line is having the final signalling etc. fitted and should be open soon.

Regards,
Bill

On 12 Sep 2010 at 10:05, Philip Hammon wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't hold your breathe on that one Bill, the west line - whilst new
signals are being provided - is very much a line of mudholes waiting for the
first few long and heavy trains to make them appear. Besides there is little
ballast on it so I wouldn't want to run fast in summer unless they are
expecting the heavy concrete sleepers to hold it in place.

On 31 August 2010 21:43, gould_scott <sncs@...<sncs%40bigpond.com>>
wrote:

[...]

10 days have passed and I have been using a newly loaded PC with XP Pro and
it still doesn't work. I keep getting a message that says "file doesn't
begin with %PDF" so I doubt that it is my PC - 2 different programmes and
two different PCs. Nothing happens after that. Unfortunately a reply saying
that it works for you is unhelpful in trying to get it to work for me.
Perhaps no-one else uses it here and thus no helpful reply.

On 10 September 2010 17:40, Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...> wrote:

David Langley wrote:
[...]

Frank Stamford

Hello David,

The difficulty is that it is hard to diagnose a problem in someone else's computer when that computer is remote.

My feeling is that there probably is some problem in the settings or software on your computer, but I have no idea what it might be. You have not mentioned what web browser you are using.

I have just tried the site in question, and it worked for me, in both Firefox (my preferred web browser) and Internet Explorer. My PC is now somewhat geriatric (its five years old!) running MS Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

One thing that I did find unusual in the way the site worked, is that the pdf opened in a new window inside the existing web page. I do not remember seeing this on any other website.

It is unfortunate that so far no one else on this Yahoo Group seems to have encountered the problem that you have, so no one has experience in how to fix it.

David Langley wrote:
[...]

I too am running Firefox with XP but only SP2. The same thing used to happen
in W2K. It seems to me that it maybe Adobe Acrobat that is causing the
problem and I do have a copy of Acrobat Reader 9 which surely should be OK.
Oh well back to the drawing board.

On 10 September 2010 17:40, Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...<eoliver%40iprimus.com.au>>
wrote:

David Langley wrote:
[...]

Well isn't that all very suspicious. This time I tried a different file to
download and it worked. It appears that the first two files listed are not
PDFs even though my PC thought that they were. The 3rd and 4th files say PDF
and they downloaded fine. Weird eh?

BTW I was searching on Katamatite and the first 4 files are Acts regarding
the Dookie-Katamatite Tramway. Perhaps someone could try the first two at
their leisure and see if they have any success.

wrote:

David Langley wrote:
[...]

Brian <rallim56@...>

David,
A couple of weeks ago on my laptop [windows 7] my Adobe reader updated
itself, but after this update every time I went to download a PDF it would
only give me the first page and then come up with some thing about not being
able to open the file properly. I un-installed my Adobe reader and download
a new version and haven't had any problems since.

Brian Millar
Driver Trainer/Accessor
Mackay Sugar Limited
Qld.Aust.

wrote:

David Langley wrote:
[...]

Hi David,

I tried searching for Katamatite, and had the same problem you experienced. I then went to the alphabetical search section, clicked on "D" and scrolled down to Dookie, and was able to open the document. Seems to be a slight problem on the site, as you have found.

Regards,

Scott