Three locomotives to move from Puffing Billy Museum to Bellarine Peninsula

Frank Stamford

The following website:

http://www.bpr.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=91

reports that an ex-Fyansford Beyer Garratt locomomotive, an ex-Fyansford Perry 0-4-0T locomotive, and an ex BHP Andrew-Barclay 0-6-0T locomotive "Pozieres" have been procured by the Bellarine Peninsula Railway from the Puffing Billy Railway museum at Menzies Creek. The BPR is seeking donations to help fund the transport of the locos.

As a result of this, all but one of the surviving Fyansford steam locos will be owned by the Bellarine Peninsula Railway.

Frank

ianj0trains <ianaj@...>

Hi All,

With the departure of those locos to Bellarine, and the previous departure of the W to Pichi Richi, and the Abt loco and van back to Tasmania, that really only leaves the 2' gauge locos, the Shay, and the 2'6" O&K in the museum plus stationary engines.

I assume the Society, presumably as a result of the lack of volunteers to open and maintain it, and its poor location to generate visitors, has decided the museum is a lost cause.

It does rather beggar the question of the future of the remaining exhibits. I'd hate to see the 2' locos leave Victoria, anyone know if there is a chance they might be relocated to Alexandra ?

Regards

Ian J

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Frank Stamford" <frank.stamford@...> wrote:

The following website:

http://www.bpr.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=91

reports that an ex-Fyansford Beyer Garratt locomomotive, an ex-Fyansford Perry 0-4-0T locomotive, and an ex BHP Andrew-Barclay 0-6-0T locomotive "Pozieres" have been procured by the Bellarine Peninsula Railway from the Puffing Billy Railway museum at Menzies Creek. The BPR is seeking donations to help fund the transport of the locos.

As a result of this, all but one of the surviving Fyansford steam locos will be owned by the Bellarine Peninsula Railway.

Frank

Ron & Hilary Martin <ronhil@...>

Ian,

When we were there over Easter, we were told that one of the major problems
limiting public access to the Museum was the presence of asbestos in a
number of the exhibits.

Anyway, I would rather see all of them back as live animals, wherever that
may be, rather than stuffed and mounted.

Just my two shekel's worth.

Ron

With the departure of those locos to Bellarine, and the previous departure
of the W to Pichi Richi, and the Abt loco and van back to Tasmania, that
really only leaves the 2' gauge locos, the Shay, and the 2'6" O&K in the
museum plus stationary engines.

I assume the Society, presumably as a result of the lack of volunteers to
open and maintain it, and its poor location to generate visitors, has
decided the museum is a lost cause.

It does rather beggar the question of the future of the remaining exhibits.
I'd hate to see the 2' locos leave Victoria, anyone know if there is a
chance they might be relocated to Alexandra ?

Regards

Ian J

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

Ian,

I have a recollection of reading in "Narrow Gauge that the 3'6" gauge
stuff was considered to be not at all relevant to Puffing Billy.
That's fair enough - but what's gong to happen to the 2' gauge
equipment is less clear.

I could try and find the particular magazine, if I have the time...

John

On Thu, 14 May 2009 05:47:39 -0000, "ianj0trains" <ianaj@three.com.au>
wrote:

[...]

John Dennis jdennis@optusnet.com.au
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html

bll_hnks

G'day All,

The reason the Puffing Billy Museum has been closed for the last few years, was the identification of asbestos lagging under the boiler cladding of some exhibits.

There is a strong group of volunteers whose ranks have swelled in recent times by the addition of several younger members. By pulling together on the various repair and restoration projects they having been kicking goals that will see the museum eventually reopened to the public. The departure of the 3' 6" gauge locos will create space for other items of VR narrow gauge interest mainly 6NM and 1NBC, both retrieved from private ownership, to be conserved and displayed. There is also 2NC that will be restored by the museum group that when available for service will be used on the footplate experience trains.

One item recently returned to service was the George & George boiler with its auxiliary equipment and stationary steam engines. The Malcolm Moore loco looks great and will soon have a new canopy fitted.

In my mind there is a place for the development of the PB museum to properly interpret all the lines of the VR Narrow Gauge.

It is worth reading the article on the PB museum in the latest Narrow Gauge magazine.

Regards,

Bill Hanks.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au> , "Frank Stamford" <frank.stamford@...> wrote:

The following website:

http://www.bpr.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=91

reports that an ex-Fyansford Beyer Garratt locomomotive, an ex-Fyansford Perry 0-4-0T locomotive, and an ex BHP Andrew-Barclay 0-6-0T locomotive "Pozieres" have been procured by the Bellarine Peninsula Railway from the Puffing Billy Railway museum at Menzies Creek. The BPR is seeking donations to help fund the transport of the locos.

As a result of this, all but one of the surviving Fyansford steam locos will be owned by the Bellarine Peninsula Railway.

Michael J

One thing of course is that when the PB museum was
established, there was precious little else around in
terms of preservation. Now there are many other
options, which is a good thing. We can be thankful
for the vision of the early PB pioneers, and if in
the future we see a more focused PB museum, and
former exhibits preserved in a more appropriate
environment, well, I think that is a good thing too.

Michael

bll_hnks

One of the great virtues of the PB museum with operational exhibits is that it is also a training facility. People are able to be trained and attain a recognized qualification as boiler attendants and engine drivers. The 3’6” gauge exhibits are a bit too big and cumbersome for this purpose. The 2ft gauge equipment on the other hand is a more convenient size for training purposes. Complimenting the locomotives is the stationary steam plant with its variety of appliances that give trainees a broader range of experience. As restoration of exhibits and ongoing maintenance is performed the trainees are more well rounded in the knowledge once qualified. Over the years many people have achieved steam qualifications whilst volunteering at the PB Museum and have gone on to become fireman and/or driver of Puffing Billy itself; I know, as I am one.

Whilst PB may be seen as just getting rid of the 3’6” gauge exhibits they don’t want, they are going to more appropriate homes that can make better use of them.

Unlike the magnificent VR S Class, all the items at the PB Museum were given a home at a time when they might otherwise have been scrapped.

The PB Museum is now evolving to suit changing times and its own needs.

Regards,

Bill Hanks

One thing of course is that when the PB museum was
established, there was precious little else around in
terms of preservation. Now there are many other
options, which is a good thing. We can be thankful
for the vision of the early PB pioneers, and if in
the future we see a more focused PB museum, and
former exhibits preserved in a more appropriate
environment, well, I think that is a good thing too.

Michael

Bill Russell

G'day Bill,

Well said.

Regards,

Bill Russell

On 15 May 2009 at 9:03, Bill Hanks wrote:

One of the great virtues of the PB museum with operational exhibits is that it is also a training facility. People are able to be trained and attain a recognized qualification as boiler attendants and engine drivers. The 3´6" gauge exhibits are a bit too big and cumbersome for this purpose. The 2ft gauge equipment on the other hand is a more convenient size for training purposes. Complimenting the locomotives is the stationary steam plant with its variety of appliances that give trainees a broader range of experience. As restoration of exhibits andogoing maintenance is performed the trainees are more well rounded in the knowledge once qualified. Over the years many people have achieved steam qualifications whilst volunteering at the PB Museum and have gone on to become fireman and/or driver of Puffing Billy itself; I know, as I am one.

[...]

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links