Topics

Title Photograph.

dickwho1

I agree with Mr. Hunslet. There must be a large number of relevant photographs taken in Australia.

Dick Holland

Stephen Percy Larcombe

Does the "Australia" in LRRSA mean members in Australia researching light railways, or does it mean research on Australian Light Railways. If the later is the case then perhaps the name should be ALRRS.

Are members only interested in Australian light railways?

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.auFrom: dickwho1@bigpond.comDate: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:04:18 +1030Subject: [LRRSA] Title Photograph.

I agree with Mr. Hunslet. There must be a large number of relevant photographs taken in Australia.Dick Holland

Get the most out of your life online! Click here for the latest news and tips.
http://livelife.ninemsn.com.au/

Brad <alcogoodwin@...>

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Stephen Percy Larcombe
<splarcombe@...> wrote:

Does the "Australia" in LRRSA mean members in Australia researching
light railways, or does it mean research on Australian Light Railways.
If the later is the case then perhaps the name should be ALRRS.

Are members only interested in Australian light railways?

Yours

Stephen>>>>
Hi Stephen,
This one should create a lot more comment :-)
It is a very good point though.

As I said a few messages back, I guide my activities by Light
Railways. Our great publication has articles/information/news or
railways, not only here, but Fiji. NZ, Asia and even the UK and elsewhere.
The extremely fast growing interest in Fiji cane railways now days
lead me to use the picture I did. If the LRRSA is the only available
publication that caters for this growing interest, then why not
capitalize on that.

To answer your question, yes I personally am interested in light
railway outside Australia, mostly the Pacific and asia regions, but I
am happy to read articles on it anywhere.
Thats my own personal interests though.

Thanks for adding your thoughts, I would certainly love to see the
quieter members give theirs as well.

Regards
Brad

BM

On the topic of what the LRRSA and its magazine 'Light Railways' covers, my understanding is that the Society encourages research into light railways, particularly those in industrial settings (which is why we somethimes get invovled in heavy iron ore haulage for instance), in Australia and in settings where there is an Australian link to the railway in question. Thus we also cover former Australian territories and the sugar lines of Fiji due to the involvement of the CSR there. Phosphate mining in the Pacific and Indian Oceans generally have an Australian link, while the Australian military were involved in light railway operations in Europe during WWI and in SE Asia (PNG and North Borneo at least) during WWII. Thus, the research carried out by LRRSA members can extend beyond Australia's boundaries and the results of this research is published in 'Light Railways'.

In the news sections, the 'Heritage & Tourist' section, for instance, follows up on preserved Australian locomotives and rolling stock that have gone to overseas railways and I occasionally run items from other countries where it seems that the event or subject being reported may be of interest to our local preservation groups involved in the restoration, operation oor display of industrial and light railway locomotives, rolling stock and artefacts.

If any members of the LRRSA Yahoo Group have thoughts on the appropriateness of this coverage, particularly the inclusion of occasional n ews items in H&T from overseas, then the editors would be most interested to hear your comments.

Bob McKillop
Heritage & Research editos, Light Railways

[...]

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Hi Bob,
          I suppose I have pretty much given my views in this thread already.
  However I have never had any real cause for complaint, I have found every since issue interesting since the first day I subscribed back in the 90s and read them cover to cover.

  Its a shame more people don't take at least a little interest in railways overseas, there are some really fascinating operations out there.
  The overseas content in LR is interesting and hardly overwhelmes the Australian content.

Keep up the great work.

BRad

** Railways & Industrial Heritage Society Phils Inc (Australian Chapter **
Preserving The Rich Railway History Of The Philippines.
We are urgently needing your help!
PHOTOS - STORIES - HISTORICAL ITEMS - MEMBERSHIP
****** http://anz.rihspi.org ******

If any members of the LRRSA Yahoo Group have thoughts on the appropriateness
of this coverage, particularly the inclusion of occasional n ews items in
H&T from overseas, then the editors would be most interested to hear your
comments.

Bob McKillop
Heritage & Research editos, Light Railways

-----
.

Bring your friends to the fun. Invite your friends from Hotmail, Gmail to Yahoo! Mail today! http://www.trueswitch.com/yahoo-ph

Scott Gould <sncs@...>

Hi Bob and all,

I welcome the coverage of the overseas happenings, to me it gives an
insight into the way things were done in Australia's formative years,
when we were a colony struggling to develop reasonable infrastrucure.
As someone who has had little overseas travel experience, the
knowledge that can be gained from the comfort of an armchair is much
appreciated. I don't think there would be a way to produce a magazine
to cater to everyones tastes all the time, but the editorial team do
a fantastic job! Keep up the good work Fellas.
Brad, I like your idea of a readers poll for the title photo, there
must be some great stuff out there that seldom sees the light of day.
I see the title page when logging in at work, and seeing something
different from time to time is a good thing.

Regards,

Scott