Marysville devastation

John Browning

I remember that a rare Days 0-6-0PM 3ft gauge loco has been on display in
Marysville for many years.

While its fate pales into utter insignificance compared to the frightful
loss of life and destruction of homes, it is to be hoped that this, one of
the last few Victorian timber tramway locomotives, can be salvaged. Its
restoration might be a fine symbol of the determination of the community to
return after the town was almost totally wiped out.

We all have the devastated communities of Victoria in our thoughts.

John

John Browning
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

bll_hnks

John,

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts for the horrendous losses
from the fires.

The apocalypse that occurred on Saturday will be a haunting nightmare
for many years to come.

Indirectly this will affect all Australians, not just those who have
perished, been injured or lost property.

It's not over yet.

Regards,

W.L. (Bill) Hanks

President LRRSA

PS: - The Days tractor at Marysville had crossed my mind too, as well
the other relics in the bush, in particular the pigsty trestle that was
a feature of a walk along 'The Trestle Track'.

[...]

Bill Russell

G'day All,

It may be difficult for a National Organisation to offer to restore a local relic, but there
is nothing to stop a local group of members making an offer to do so (with the blessing of the
LRRSA).

However the ractor would need to be inspected first, it may be too badly burnt to
restore.

Assunming that the it can be restored the local comminnity would also need to be
consulted, as I imagine they may not want outsiders "stealing" one of their local icons. To
overcome this I think that any approach should be done under the auspices of the LRRSA
with the promise that the restored loco would be returned to the town.

Nancy and I often used to drive to Marysville for afternoon tea. It was a magnificent
town.

If members are interested in forming such a group I would be willing to co-ordinate
(and record) the members of the group.

Regards,

Bill Russell.

On 12 Feb 2009 at 9:11, Bill Hanks wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

bll_hnks

G'day Bill R,

Thank you for your offer to co-ordinate a restoration of the Marysville Days Tractor. It is something that can be considered.

Initially I guess a lot depends on when outsiders will be allowed to again visit the town, to be able to inspect the tractor.

There is also the possibility that it may inadvertently become a victim of the clean-up effort and be carted off with the rest of the rubbish in the town. It will most likely be outside contractors doing the clean-up who won't recognize the importance of this object.

Regards,

Bill Hanks.

[...]

Michael J

If the LRRSA is interested, maybe a letter to the
Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority
offering assistance in identifying items of
historical interest may get permission to enter these
areas at an early date.

The letter should mention the importance of retaining
what remains of the cultural heritage of these
regions. It could also suggest that the LRRSA may be
available to assist in restoration in the longer term.

I think it is important that these relics are
retained where possible, Not only for those
interested in light railways or history, but for the
local communities, who will look to these relics as
important links with the past when so much else is lost.

Regards,

Michael

[...]

I guess the first removal of rubbish would be removal of roofing iron to allow the ruins
below to be searched. If the tractor remains are removed I guess it would be later.

However, assuming we are interested, it would be wise to be ready to move on an
initial investigation as soon as possible. At this investigation we would also need to contact
the local authorities.

In short, we need to do some initial organising now. Are there enough members
interested? Would we have the blessing of the LRRSA?

Regards,

Bill Russell

On 12 Feb 2009 at 12:15, Bill Hanks wrote:

[...]

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

For what its worth, and as someone very much moved by the tragedy down there, I think Bill has hit on a truly beautiful idea.
  It will never bring back all those poor people, or help to ease the suffering of the survivers, but I agree with all the views of its link to the past and the importance to have township icons like this go on.
  While I live a bit far, and am incredibly involved in an overseas museum project at the moment, to do much to help, I would certainly try to help raise some funds towards the restoration.

Regards
Brad
** BTW: While not a major consideration considering, the publicity it could bring for the LRRSA could only be good surely.

** Railways & Industrial Heritage Society Phils Inc (Australian Chapter **
Preserving The Rich Railway History Of The Philippines.
We are urgently needing your help!
PHOTOS - STORIES - HISTORICAL ITEMS - MEMBERSHIP
****** http://anz.rihspi.org ******

I guess the first removal of rubbish would be removal of roofing iron to allow the ruins
below to be searched. If the tractor remains are removed I guess it would be later.

However, assuming we are interested, it would be wise to be ready to move on an
initial investigation as soon as possible. At this investigation we would also need to contact
the local authorities.

In short, we need to do some initial organising now. Are there enough members
interested? Would we have the blessing of the LRRSA?

Regards,

Bill Russell

.

New Email names for you!
Hurry before someone else does!
http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/ph/

Peter Evans

Hi All,

History of the Day's rail tractor at Marysville is as follows:

"The horse teams on the Marysville Timber & Seasoning Company log tramway
were superseded when the Company obtained a six-wheel rail-tractor to work
the line. This tractor had been built by Day's of South Melbourne in 1927
for Richard's tramway at Starvation Creek east of Warburton. Richards found
that the cast-iron frames cracked easily on the rough track-work at
Starvation Creek, and had the frames replaced with rolled iron joists by
blacksmiths and engineers G. W. Grocke of South Melbourne. This solved the
cracking problem but rendered the tractor too light to provide sufficient
tractive effort. As a result, the unit was sold to Ted Anderson for use at
Marysville. Today, the scars of the conversion are still visible on the
tractor, now preserved in Gallipoli Park in Marysville. Ted's Son, Ron
"Copper" Anderson, was assigned the position as driver on the log tram along
Wilks Creek. Trains consisted of up to three or four "sets" of trucks, with
from one to three logs on each set. Ron took to the job enthusiastically,
driving at a speed calculated to induce an intense state of nervousness in
any passengers". [Source: Evans P. (in prep) Wooden Rails and Green Gold: A
Century of Timber and Transport along the Yarra Track.]

This tractor is most likely severely damaged as it was right next to the
Police Station which was destroyed on Saturday afternoon. There were two log
bogies behind the tractor and nearby was a large oil engine ex Sund's
sawmill. I think it an excellent suggestion that the LRRSA approach the
Marysville Historical Society with an offer to restore the tractor, bogies
and engine and retain them in situ. There is a precedent for this approach
in the restoration of the TACL rail tractor at PBPS some years ago. Since it
would be a cosmetic restoration only it would hopefully take less than the
15-years it took to restore the TACL.

Cheers,

PeterE.

Peter Evans

Production Management, Corporate Writing and Heritage Services

0407 537 837

www.peterevans.com.au <http://www.peterevans.com.au/>

peter@peterevans.com.au

wordsmith_mike

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "john browning" <ceo8@...> wrote:

I remember that a rare Days 0-6-0PM 3ft gauge loco has been on
display in
Marysville for many years.
If it is recoverable, maybe the Yarra Valley Tourist Railway could in
finding a space for restoration

Bill Russell

G'day Peter,

Thanks for this information.

`I think that you would be the moswt appropriate person to initially contact the
Marysville residents. I presume that you have contacts there.

I presume also that as this is an uinofficial group of LRRSA members we do not
need official LRRSA blessing. For the moment we can keep the thing informal.

Regards,

Bill Russell.

P.S. The Puffing Billy Railway is plnning to help farmers in the Bunyip area with fencing. This
follows a request from the farmers.
;-;-;-;-;-;-;;

On 13 Feb 2009 at 9:13, Peter Evans wrote:

[...]

I do have contacts in Marysville, and will wait for further news to come in
and for some of the rawness of the event to subside before investigating
further. I will then report back to the group.

The Marysville Historical Society had an excellent collection of photographs
and documents and I hope that has survived.

Cheers,

PeterE.

Peter Evans

Production Management, Corporate Writing and Heritage Services

0407 537 837

www.peterevans.com.au <http://www.peterevans.com.au/>

peter@peterevans.com.au

P please consider the environment before printing.
This electronic mail contains information that is privileged and
confidential, intended only for use of the individual(s) or entity named. If
you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or use of the
information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error please delete it immediately from your system and inform me by
return email and destroy the original message

Brian Millar <rallim56@...>

Peter,
While no one wants to seem rude or not caring, sitting back may not be a good option as it is human nature to remove all things that remind them of something so heart rending and devastating, if I have my facts right the President and his wife of the Marysville Historical Society were on a program on the ABC the other night and they did grab as much as they could from the museum, but I think in the end there car was destroyed, I'm sure if you were to contact them ASAP. it may give them and others in the community a little hope, a bit like a little light at the end of the tunnel, to know that out of devastation and ruin, comes re-building.
Cheers
Brian Millar
Qld. Aust.

[...]

Hello Brian,

I am sorry, but on this occasion I cannot agree with you.

Peter is much closer to this, I have worked with him for over twenty
years on the LRRSA Council, and I would completely trust his judgement
on knowing the appropriate time to take any action on this.

The human needs of the survivors of the Marysville devastation must
take priority now. The total loss of life in Marysville is not yet
known, but it is expected to be very high.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Brian Millar" <rallim56@...> wrote:

[...]

02/12/09
18:46:00

Michael J

News this morning was that Marysville residents are
being allowed to tour the town on buses today, they
will not be allowed off the bus. In other words there
is nothing happening in the town yet towards
recovery, the police are still working there.

So as yet there is no "great urgency" to do anything.
But if you know anybody, an offer to help when they
are ready, will always be appreciated I'm sure.

Michael

Bill Russell

G'day Peter and All,

I think the photographs and documents were lost. I saw the same ABC segment as
Brian. I understand that it will/should take some time to contact the appropriate people on
Marysville.

On 14 Feb 2009 at 7:18, Peter Evans wrote:

[...]

G'day Mike and All,

I disagree with your suggestion for restoration.

I think cosmetic restoration (if such is possible) should be done at Marysville to
preserve the town's ownership of the relic.

YVTR appears to have no spare space in their workshop. (I was there on Tuesday.)
Apart from that they have enough to do with what they had planned apart from the fire
damage to their track.
Regards,
Bill Russell.

On 13 Feb 2009 at 0:15, wordsmith_mike wrote:

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "john browning" <ceo8@...> wrote:

I remember that a rare Days 0-6-0PM 3ft gauge loco has been on
display in
Marysville for many years.
If it is recoverable, maybe the Yarra Valley Tourist Railway could in
finding a space for restoration

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

Brian Millar <rallim56@...>

Frank,
My main concern is that currently the town proper isn't in the control of the towns people, but more probably being controlled by some bureaucrat who has little or no care for anything railway or historical, and is only interested in getting brownie points for cleaning up the aftermath, that's why if it was me I'd be making contact with someone in charge, just to make sure nothing gets carted away, in looking at photos of the Days tractor, it is mostly of steel construction so it should be possible to restore it cosmetically, the log buggies would have burned leaving only the iron work, but again they could be rebuilt with new timbers using the old iron work.
Cheers
Brian Millar
Qld. Aust.

At 02:49 PM 14/02/2009, you wrote:

Frank,
My main concern is that currently the town proper isn't in the control of
the towns people, but more probably being controlled by some bureaucrat who
has little or no care for anything railway or historical, and is only
interested in getting brownie points for cleaning up the aftermath,
No it isn't. It is in the hands of the police, who have forensic
scientists looking through the ruins searching for bodies.

that's
why if it was me I'd be making contact with someone in charge, just to make
sure nothing gets carted away,

Peter Evans will have exactly the same concerns. He is at Alexandra
where most of the Marysville survivors are currently located, and has
worked with Victorian bureaucracies for many years. He is
intelligent, tactful, and has a track record of getting things done.

in looking at photos of the Days tractor, it
is mostly of steel construction so it should be possible to restore it
cosmetically, the log buggies would have burned leaving only the iron work,
but again they could be rebuilt with new timbers using the old iron work.
It depends on how hot the fire was at that location.

I have attached an item from today's Age which will help put you in
the picture.

Sorry, that last message was meant to go to Brian personally.

David Axup

G'day All,

The town of Marysville is still currently being regarded as a crime scene
with all that implies and the Disaster Victim Identification Teams haven't
finished their very essential work in trying to locate and identify those
who may have been killed. They are not the sort of people I would be
labelling as bureaucrats. In the overall scale of this tragedy the Days
tractor is pretty small potatoes.

Cheers,

David