Boiler - Robison Bros. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...>

Hi all,

Not Light Rail but is Steam

Down opposite the old berth that Polly Woodside (sailing vessel) was
docked in, the additions to the Melbourne Convention centre have placed
a purpose built shelter over a bricked-in boiler.

The boiler details are:
Robison Bros. Melbourne
1.03.1904
Tested to 240 lbs sq in

Does anyone know anything about this old thing?

Regards
Rod Hutchinson
Melbourne, Australia

Peter Evans

Hi Rod,

I believe this was the boiler that provided steam to the pumps that pumped
the Duke & Orr dock dry once a ship was inside. I believe the pumps have
been preserved separately - perhaps at the Melbourne Steam Traction Engine
Club at Scoresby? It's a pity they weren't able to be kept together. Often
the first reaction to a threat to an installation is to remove whatever
interests the rescuer most. The better option is to try and keep an
installation intact in situ if at all possible. I'm not aware of the
circumstances of the removal of the pumps so this is not intended to be a
criticism, just an observation.

Cheers,

PeterE.

Peter Evans

Production Management, Corporate Writing and Heritage Services

0407 537 837

www.peterevans.com.au <http://www.peterevans.com.au/>

peter@peterevans.com.au

P please consider the environment before printing.
This electronic mail contains information that is privileged and
confidential, intended only for use of the individual(s) or entity named. If
you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or use of the
information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error please delete it immediately from your system and inform me by
return email and destroy the original message

Stephen Percy Larcombe

The steam driven water pumps are still in thier original location. The people that are rebuilding the dry dock for polly wood side would like to put the pumps back into operation and run them on compressed air, but the heritage people are hesitant about allowing this to happen.

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.auFrom: peter@peterevans.com.auDate: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:37:27 +1100Subject: [LRRSA] Re:Boiler - Robison Bros. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

[...]

It's simple! Sell your car for just $40
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT

Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...>

Peter/Stephen,

I had a bit of a snoop, and there is some pipe work adjacent to the
boiler. However it is a building site so I wasn't able to glean a lot
of info.

I found a picture of a similar Robison Boiler at:

<http://forum1.aimoo.com/The_Old_Machinery_Magazine/OLD-MACHINERY-TALK/r
obinson-bros-1-1035227.html>

Scroll about 2/3rds down

Regards
Rod Hutchinson
Mooroolbark, Australia

The steam driven water pumps are still in thier original location. The
people that are rebuilding the dry dock for polly wood side would like
to put the pumps back into operation and run them on compressed air, but
the heritage people are hesitant about allowing this to happen.

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.auFrom: peter@peterevans.com.auDate: Fri, 23
Jan 2009 18:37:27 +1100Subject: [LRRSA] Re:Boiler - Robison Bros.
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

[...]
and inform me byreturn email and destroy the original message[Non-text
portions of this message have been removed]

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and
the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of
the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and
opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA
member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links