Sale RAAF target tramway

Scott Gould <sncs@...>

Hi All,

With the recent traffic about navy divers, I thought I'd post another
armed forces question. I have seen a V.R. drawing showing a control
panel constructed for the RAAF for a target tramway at East Sale. Shown
on the panel was an oval of track, with a siding off it. Do any readers
have any knowledge of this operation?

Regards,

Scott

Paul Napier <bandm@...>

Several pictures of it in AWM online collection e.g. see
http://cas.awm.gov.au/TST2/cst.acct_master?
surl=602501615ZZZIGMWJKIPKT71345&stype=2&simplesearch=&v_umo=&v_product_
id=&screen_name=&screen_parms=&screen_type=RIGHT&bvers=4&bplatform=Micro
soft%20Internet%20Explorer&bos=Win32

For more search for 'sale target'

Paul Napier

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Scott Gould" <sncs@...> wrote:

Hi All,

With the recent traffic about navy divers, I thought I'd post another
armed forces question. I have seen a V.R. drawing showing a control
panel constructed for the RAAF for a target tramway at East Sale.
Shown
on the panel was an oval of track, with a siding off it. Do any
readers
have any knowledge of this operation?

Regards,

Scott

rthorne475

There are also pictures in 'Picture Australia' of one of the target trolleys, with and without the target, at what I assume is
VR's Newport Works. They probably appear under 'railways' and, although I can't now recall, I'd guess that the captions are totally erroneous (as are so many on this otherwise excellent site).

Regards,

Richard Horne

________________________________
[...]

John Browning

Ah . . .

I think that Richard is referring to another target tramway, this one
operating at Puckapunyal, also in Victoria.

It also used a three rail system.

Photos are on the Public Record Office of Victoria site.

Go to http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/Index_search.asp?searchid=41
and start looking.

An initial search for 'target' found some interesting results.

John

John Browning
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

John Browning

As Richard says, not well captioned.

If you search for 'narrow gauge' from
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/Index_search.asp?searchid=41 you'll
find some photos of a Puckapunyal target trolley at the bottom of the first
page of results.

John

John Browning
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

rthorne475

John has correctly identified the the photos of a target trolley that I referred to. I see that the photos, catalogued as PRO of Victoria Box 332 / 01, 02 & 03, are gloriously mis-captioned as 'narrow gauge 4 wheel freight wagon'.

Richard Horne

________________________________
I think that Richard is referring to another target tramway, this one
operating at Puckapunyal, also in Victoria.

It also used a three rail system.

Photos are on the Public Record Office of Victoria site.

Go to http://proarchives. imagineering. com.au/Index_ search.asp? searchid= 41
and start looking.

An initial search for 'target' found some interesting results.

John

John Browning
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

paul <bandm@...>

Well it is 'narrow gauge', '4 wheel' and the target is carried (as freight).

Paul Napier
1.3. Re: Sale RAAF target tramway
Posted by: "richard horne" rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk rthorne475
Date: Tue Dec 2, 2008 5:18 am ((EST))

John has correctly identified the the photos of a target trolley that I referred to. I see that the photos, catalogued as PRO of Victoria Box 332 / 01, 02 & 03, are gloriously mis-captioned as 'narrow gauge 4 wheel freight wagon'.

Richard Horne

Paul Napier <bandm@...>

Can anyone confirm what gauge the RAAF Sale and Puckapunyal tracks
were?

Paul Napier

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, richard horne <rthorne475@...> wrote:

[...]

bll_hnks

When I looked at the point layout plan many years ago I seem to remember
the gauge being 3 foot. There was also an insulated third rail that
provided power for propulsion. The control of it was something akin to
an electric train set.

Bill Hanks

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au> ,
[...]

Thanks John for the links to the PROV photos of the target tramway. I
have uploaded to my folder Scott's photos in the photos section a
drawing showing the model railway style controller as mentioned by
Bill, and the track plan. There is also a photo in the folder from
the PROV collection showing the control desk.The three foot gauge
also rings a bell.

Regards,

Scott