Oberursel locomotives

David Martin <davidmart@...>

I am in the process of writing up the history of an Oberursel
locomotive at the Museum of Transport and Technology in Auckland. I was
wondering if any locomotives from this manufacturer ever went to
Australia.
The loco I am involved with was built in 1912 as a kerosine powered
single cylinder loco. Originally of 2ft gauge it was regauged to 3'6"
in the 1940's when it worked at a mercury mine.
From info learned so far there are only a few locos from this
manufacturer left in World and our one is the only one with the
original engine in operating condition. With its centenary due in 4
years it would be good to try and get as much info as possible about
Oberursel themselves. They became part of Deutz in 1920 and built less
than 1000 locos.
Can anyone throw further light on this subject please?+

B.Rumary

David Martin wrote:

I am in the process of writing up the history of an Oberursel
locomotive at the Museum of Transport and Technology in Auckland. I was
wondering if any locomotives from this manufacturer ever went to
Australia.

Can anyone throw further light on this subject please?+
Have you seen this web page?
www.werkbahn.de/eisenbahn/lokbau/oberursel.htm

Click on "Lieferliste" button to see a list of all known locos by this
builder. If you contact Jens Merte <mail@lokhersteller.de>, the author of
this website, you will find that he speaks reasonable English.

Brian Rumary, England

www.rumary.co.uk

Paul Napier <bandm@...>

I am a little surprised he shows the Samoa and MOTAT loco linked.
Years ago when I was reserching the Samoa Feldbahn I was in contact
with Jens and presented evidence that the MOTAT loco definitely was not
the same loco the NZ Army used in Samoa in WWI.

There was a slight possibility the Hauraki Plains loco may have come
from Samoa as I located a single advert in the Gernam Government Samoa
files advertising two benzene locos for sale however the location of
the locos was not stated. Just to further cloud things the purchase of
the Hauraki loco was arranged through the UK.

Paul Napier

till > Have you seen this web page?

builder. If you contact Jens Merte <mail@...>, the author of
this website, you will find that he speaks reasonable English.

Brian Rumary, England

www.rumary.co.uk

Daniel Osborne

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "David Martin" <davidmart@...> wrote:

I am in the process of writing up the history of an Oberursel
locomotive at the Museum of Transport and Technology in Auckland. I
was
wondering if any locomotives from this manufacturer ever went to
Australia.
The loco I am involved with was built in 1912 as a kerosine powered
single cylinder loco. Originally of 2ft gauge it was regauged to 3'6"
in the 1940's when it worked at a mercury mine.
From info learned so far there are only a few locos from this
manufacturer left in World and our one is the only one with the
original engine in operating condition. With its centenary due in 4
years it would be good to try and get as much info as possible about
Oberursel themselves. They became part of Deutz in 1920 and built
less
than 1000 locos.
Can anyone throw further light on this subject please?+
I had a look at Merte's list and there seems to be no direct deliveries
to Australia, the closest being Indonesia.
According to Merte this was delivered to Samoa for use during the
construction of a telegraph station.
Built as a 4w (Chain driven) 600mm gauge. No other details available

Regards Daniel