Perth Zoo Train

Frank Stamford

The LRRSA has received the following request for information:

"I am a Curtin University student and am currently undertaking a
practicum at the Perth Zoo.
The practicum involves making a heritage trail, one of the sites is
the zoo train station.
I have a clock which apparently was donated to the zoo by the
Government Railway Authority of 1932 when the train started running.
I am wanting to know if you would know where to look to find out if
this clock was in fact donated to the zoo by the Government Railway
Authority of the day.
Also has there been any updates as to the whereabouts of the zoo train
in your article of August 2001?"

Can anyone help with information?

BM

In response to Frank's request, I have not heard anything further re the first Perth Zoo train since the report published in Light Railways 160 (August 2001). You might, however, check if your correspondence has an update on the second generation Perth Zoo 'train' built by Wills Engineering in 1988 as road vehicles. The steam outline locomotive is based on a profile of a WAGR H class 0-6-0T. This train is at the Kojonup Tourist Railway where it is in the process of being converted to rail operation when last reported.

Bob McKillop

The LRRSA has received the following request for information:

"I am a Curtin University student and am currently undertaking a practicum at the Perth Zoo.
The practicum involves making a heritage trail, one of the sites is the zoo train station.
I have a clock which apparently was donated to the zoo by the Government Railway Authority of 1932 when the train started running. I am wanting to know if you would know where to look to find out if this clock was in fact donated to the zoo by the Government Railway
Authority of the day.
Also has there been any updates as to the whereabouts of the zoo train in your article of August 2001?"

Can anyone help with information?

David Whiteford <david.whiteford@...>

Sorry, no further news on the LR160 piece from me in WA either!
However, Frank, if you want to provide the student with my contact details I am happy to assist with research resources on the history of the railway.
Cheers
David Whiteford
(david.whiteford@slwa.wa.gov.au)

________________________________

The LRRSA has received the following request for information:

"I am a Curtin University student and am currently undertaking a practicum
at the Perth Zoo.
The practicum involves making a heritage trail, one of the sites is the zoo
train station.
I have a clock which apparently was donated to the zoo by the Government
Railway Authority of 1932 when the train started running. I am wanting to
know if you would know where to look to find out if this clock was in fact
donated to the zoo by the Government Railway
Authority of the day.
Also has there been any updates as to the whereabouts of the zoo train in
your article of August 2001?"

Can anyone help with information?

Roderick Smith

I know nothing of the first Perth zoo train.
I am sure that I read about the second one (rubber tyred) being used on
the site of Kalamunda zig zag. Perhaps that was only a proposal?
Perhaps it was a different product from Willis?

Does the heritage information want to link to trains at other zoos?
I have been on the one at Melbourne, but can't recall having a photo.
I do have a photo of the one at Adelaide.
Whipsnade (UK) has a well-known railway.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

David Whiteford <david.whiteford@...>

Further to my earlier email, I have just heard that the zoo railway train is still extant at a property near Wanneroo and moves are being made to have it preserved, possibly at Whiteman Park by the W.A. Light Railway Preservation Association (Bennett Brook Railway).

The Willis Engineering road one didn't get used on the zig-zag though it was proposed.

Cheers
David

Does the heritage information want to link to trains at other zoos?
I have been on the one at Melbourne, but can't recall having a photo.
I do have a photo of the one at Adelaide.
Whipsnade (UK) has a well-known railway.
My professional life is closely involved with the zoo industry, and zoo trains were once as common as elephant rides and chimpanzee tea parties, and tended to start to disappear about the same time. Zoos came to see themselves less as amusement parks and more as serious educational and scientific institutions. If I remember correctly Currumbin Wildlife Park on the Gold Coast still has a train, which serves to move visitors between the two halves of the park.

Whipsnade's railway is of course a full size 2'6" gauge railway using former military and industrial locomotives, and not the miniature type used in Australian zoos.

Michael