Leisureland, Langwarrin

Roderick Smith

I was asked about this one, which could be a misreporting of
Whistlestop (Skye Rd, Frankston) or could be legitimate.
Wikipedia's two contributors quoted no sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisureland_Fair
Leisureland Fair is a now defunct amusement park in Langwarrin,
Victoria, Australia which operated from approximately 1984 to 1992.
It is now a housing estate with the only reference to it being a
street named after it. The amusement park was situated on a large
plot of land with a steam train which would take passengers from the
carpark to the park itself.
The park consisted of a large number of attractions including a
custom built steel roller coaster, log flume, waterslides, mini golf,
a function centre and various other rides. The park was then sold on
to a religious group who developed the site into housing.
The only remaining part of Leisureland Fair is the now abandoned
Function Centre, otherwise known as The Castle. The property is now
under Private Ownership and was once the main terminus for the
amusement park, situated in the centre of the park.

What is known about the steam train there?

I have thanked Peter offlist for his useful response to my last
question.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

John Browning

As recorded in Light Railway News 39, 40, 81, 83 & 113 the "steam train"
was in fact three Chance trains supplied from Wichita, Kansas.

The locos were 2ft gauge 4w-2-4wPM (steam outline). Builder's numbers were
75-50134 24, 75-50142 24 & 75-50143 24 and they carried numbers 134, 142 &
143 respectively.

You can see details of the Chance train at
http://www.chancemorgan.com/graphics/chanpics/Spec_C_P_Huntington_Train.pdf

There is a video at
http://www.chancemorgan.com/graphics/video/CP_Huntington_Trains.wmv

and more if you look on Youtube for CP Huntingdon,

We know that the three locos at Leisureland Fair were built in 1975 and
ordered by Group Property Services for Australia. However, the park opened
in 1983, so the obvious question is where were they in the meantime?

It appears that Group Property Services Ltd was formed in 1975 and emerged
from Miles Painting Services Ltd, a Victorian company formed by Mr Norman
Miles and his two brothers. (It later became Programmed Maintenance
Services.) Is there any knowledge of any project that they were involved
with? (I note that Norman Miles may well have been associated with the
Rotary Club at Langwarrin.)

Latterly, the owner of Leisureland Fair was First NJK Investments Pty Ltd. I
suspect that this could have been a company controlled by Nasser J Kazeminy,
of Palm Beach, Florida. However, there is another NJK, in San Diego,
California as well as a Japanese corporation.

It would be interesting to find out where the equipment went after closure
in 1992.

So here is ample scope for research here!

John

John Browning
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

Roderick Smith

Thanks John,
I will look up the references and videos after May RNV gets to the
printer.
Meanwhile, I have had a reply from a friend who lives in North Rd,
Langwarrin. It was just up the road from him. The original published
phone number was wrong: it was his grandmother's number. The family
had a free day there as compensation.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

"john browning" <ceo8@...> wrote:
...the "steam train"

was in fact three Chance trains supplied from Wichita, Kansas...

Michael J

Just came upon this. Leasureland certainly existed in Langwarrin, on the Westernport Highway. Melways ref 131 D10. The property was quite large, and old Melways showed a network of railway lines running round the park.

I always assumed it was the park where the 2'6" gauge locos from the gasworks ran, however I guess that was Whistlestop?

Never went to the park so no idea what steam trains operated there.

Michael