The sound of a Krauss whistle

jdennis@...

Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a DCC sound decoder to fit into my (as yet unbuilt) Irvinebank Tramway 0-6-0 Krauss "Betty". The supplier has asked me what type of whistle these locos had. Is anybody able to advise on the sound of a typical Krauss whistle? (I assume that this is a standard thing from the manufacturer). I know it's difficult to describe sounds in words, but even something like a high-pitched shriek, or a "peanut" whistle, will help.

Thanks,
John Dennis

Bruce & Gaye Belbin <boxcargraphics@...>

Hi John,

So far as I know, the 'standard' Krauss whistle was fitted to most (though
not all) narrow-gauge locos, and I see from the photograph on page 80 of The
Innisfail Tramway that 'Betty' (Krauss 5261 of 1906) was indeed fitted with
one of these.

I see from recent photographs that the composite Krauss 0-4-0WT (5682 of
1906 and 5800 of 1907) at Redwater Creek, Sheffield, Tasmania is still
fitted with one of these whistles, so if you're down that way you could have
a listen for yourself. I was given a drive of this loco back in the 80s,
when it was at Karoola, and my memory of the whistle is definitely of a
'high-pitched shriek'.

Regards
Bruce

From: jdennis@optusnet.com.au
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:57:00 +1000
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, ausnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [LRRSA] The sound of a Krauss whistle

Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a DCC sound decoder to fit into my (as yet
unbuilt) Irvinebank Tramway 0-6-0 Krauss "Betty". The supplier has asked me
what type of whistle these locos had. Is anybody able to advise on the sound
of a typical Krauss whistle? (I assume that this is a standard thing from
the manufacturer). I know it's difficult to describe sounds in words, but
even something like a high-pitched shriek, or a "peanut" whistle, will help.

Thanks,
John Dennis

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

Thanks to all those who offered assistance. Frank Savery sent me a
DVD taken at Redwater Creek in Tasmania, and from that I have
extracted a couple of the whistles. If people are interested they can
be found in the files section (of both groups) - look for the "JohnD's
Stuff" folder.

Bob Backway also provided a lovely clip of double headed Krauss locos,
but as we are not certain of the source, and not wishing to break any
copyright rules, I can't upload that.

Now to see whether the "decoder man" can come up with some sounds
which match this whistle...

Thanks,
John

On Tue, 20 May 2008 16:57:00 +1000, jdennis@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a DCC sound decoder to fit into
my (as yet unbuilt) Irvinebank Tramway 0-6-0 Krauss "Betty". The
supplier has asked me what type of whistle these locos had. Is
anybody able to advise on the sound of a typical Krauss whistle?
(I assume that this is a standard thing from the manufacturer). I
know it's difficult to describe sounds in words, but even something
like a high-pitched shriek, or a "peanut" whistle, will help.

Thanks,
John Dennis
John Dennis jdennis@optusnet.com.au
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html