LRRSA Web Site - Timmber tramways - seeking volunteers

Frank Stamford

I have been looking at the Timber Tramway pages on the LRRSA website
(http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_TT.htm) with a view to updating their
presentation.

They mainly consist of Select Bibliographies which have not been
updated for some years. I am wondering if there are any people on this
list who would like to do the updating. To keep it manageable you
could select just one state if you wish.

In each case it involves looking through isuues of "Light Railways"
magazine for articles, and items in the "Research" and "Letters" section.

The work involved is as follows:

And, as long as you have access to the appropriate issues of "LR", you
can be in any part of the world to do this.

1. Queensland

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrbibliq.htm is a list of "Items on Queensland
Timber Tramways published in Light Railways Nos 52 to 133".

It needs to be updated for items published in LR from 134 to 197.

2. New South Wales

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrbiblin.htm is a list of "Items on New South
Wales Timber Tramways published in Light Railways Nos 63 to 150".

It needs to be updated for items published in LR from 151 to 197.

3. Victoria

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LrBiblio.htm is a list of "Items on Victorian
Timber Tramways published in Light Railways Nos 99 to 133."

It needs to be updated for items published in LR from 134 to 197.

4. Tasmania

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrbiblit.htm is a list of "Items on Tasmanian
Timber Tramways published in Light Railways Nos 27 to 166".

It needs to be updated for items published in LR from 167 to 197.

5. South Australia

So far there no evidence of timber tramways in South Australia has
surfaced, so there is no South Australian list !!!

6. Western Australia

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Bibliw.htm is a select bibliography of
material relating to timber tramways in Western Australia.

It needs to be updated for items published in LR from 135 to 197 and
ideally should be in the same format as the other state lists.

The format needed is very simple – a Microsoft Word table in four
columns headed "Description of Article", "Article Name", "Author", and
"Publication No. and Page No."

Chris Stratton

Frank,

I don't know much about timber tramways but I can read magazines and do data
entry. I have most of the issues of LR needed but am missing the following
issues : 141, 145, 146, 151, 155, 160. If these are still available I don't
mind buying them as I want to complete the set anyway.

Regards,
Chris Stratton

[...]

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

Frank,

Is there any reason why these bibliographies cannot be extended back
towards issue 1?

John

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:56:48 -0000, "Frank Stamford"
<frank.stamford@bigpond.com> wrote:

I have been looking at the Timber Tramway pages on the LRRSA website
(http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_TT.htm) with a view to updating their
presentation.
<snip>
1. Queensland

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrbibliq.htm is a list of "Items on Queensland
Timber Tramways published in Light Railways Nos 52 to 133".

It needs to be updated for items published in LR from 134 to 197.
etc...

John Dennis jdennis@optusnet.com.au
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html

Frank Stamford

Hello John,

No there isn't. To be honest I did not even look at the "from" date, only the "to" date.

In the case of Queensland it starts from issue 52 and there might not be anything before then.

In the case of New South Wales it starts from issue 63, and again there might not be anything before then.

In the case of Victoria it starts from issue 99, with a separate listing of "Significant articles" before 99, but even that only goes back to issue 42. There will be a lot of Victorian material that is not listed.

In the case of Tasmania it goes back to issue 27, and there might not be anything before then.

In the case of WA it is listed in a different form, and seems to only relate to major articles, and goes back to issue 33.

Doing Victoria thoroughly could be a daunting task, but if we had enough volunteers we could allot manageable chunks, I think.

(<http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_TT.htm>http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_TT

<http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrbibliq.htm>http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Lrbib

John Dennis <mailto:jdennis%40optusnet.com.au>jdennis@optusnet.com.au
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
Dutton Bay URL: <http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay>http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
WebX <http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html>http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html

Frank Savery

I'll be happy to do Tasmania, Frank.