Rail Gauge.

Dick Holland <rholland@...>

Greetings,

Just as a 'throw in'. In the art gallery at Broken Hill there is a painting of some harbour on the southern coast of England. On the quay illustrated the rail gauge is that extreme broad gauge used by Brunel (8ft???).

The picture is worth looking at if ever in BHQ.

Incidentally, I believe that this was regauged to standard in one hit and done over a very short time. And, I remember reading in a book called Red for Danger that on one occasion this broad gauge was responsible for minimum damage/casualties in some 'corn field meet' that took place in the latter years of its existence.
Richard Holland

Regional Inspector
Far West - Broken Hill

rholland@rspcansw.org.au
Mobile : 0427 010 184
www.rspcansw.org.au

halfpilotstaff

Brunel's Broad Gauge (the REAL broad gauge...!) was 7ft, and was in
use on the Great Western Railway (and some of its branches) in
England for nearly 60yrs, until 1892 or thereabouts; in latter years
it was dual-gauged with standard to allow "compatibility" with other
lines.

"Red For Danger" was a book on all significant railway disasters from
the beginning of railways through to the mid-1950s. It includes such
disasters as the Tay Bridge collapse, Shrewsbury and Hawes Junction,
to name just a few. It was written by L. T. C. Rolt, who also wrote a
very comprehensive biography on Brunel.

Brunel was plagued regards the Great Western and Broad Gauge, by a
quasi-scientific heckler with the grandiose name of Dionysius
Lardner, who was always trying to prove (and always unsuccessfully)
how unsafe and generally useless Broad Gauge was in comparison to
standard gauge. Rolt makes continued references to this personage in
the Brunel biography.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Dick Holland" <rholland@...> wrote:

Greetings,

Just as a 'throw in'. In the art gallery at Broken Hill there is a
painting of some harbour on the southern coast of England. On the
quay illustrated the rail gauge is that extreme broad gauge used by
Brunel (8ft???).

The picture is worth looking at if ever in BHQ.

Incidentally, I believe that this was regauged to standard in one
hit and done over a very short time. And, I remember reading in a
book called Red for Danger that on one occasion this broad gauge was
responsible for minimum damage/casualties in some 'corn field meet'
that took place in the latter years of its existence.
Richard Holland

Regional Inspector
Far West - Broken Hill

rholland@...
Mobile : 0427 010 184
www.rspcansw.org.au

B.Rumary

Halfpilotstaff wrote:

Brunel's Broad Gauge (the REAL broad gauge...!) was 7ft, and was in
use on the Great Western Railway (and some of its branches) in
England for nearly 60yrs, until 1892 or thereabouts; in latter years
it was dual-gauged with standard to allow "compatibility" with other
lines.
By 1892 the remaining broad gauge ran from London to Penzance, with
some branches, of which I think the London-Bristol section was dual
gauge. There was also a large amount of standard gauge, some of which
had been converted from broad in the past and other sections had never
been broad. In 1892 it was decided to end the broad gauge, and all the
remaining broad-only sections were narrowed in one massive operation
that took only a few days. The broad gauge rails on the mixed gauge
track were removed piecemeal basis in the following months.

Brian Rumary, England

www.rumary.co.uk