Warburton Tramway Photos

JH

Hi
I've just posted an album containing the relevant photos from some
one's walking tour from Millgrove to Warburton via Donna Buang of which
I hold an envelope containingnegatives and what appears to be half to
two thirds of the map. I suspect pre 1939 bushfires. I have enhanced
the map so that some of the pencil work is more visible. If any one can
identify the sites I would appreciate that.
John Hyett

sawdustoz <pevans@...>

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "John Hyett" <john.hyett@...> wrote:

Hi
I've just posted an album containing the relevant photos from some
one's walking tour from Millgrove to Warburton via Donna Buang of
which
I hold an envelope containingnegatives and what appears to be half to
two thirds of the map.>
John,

The map is definitely of the northern part of the Black Range between
Murrindindi and Yea - "Timber Mountain" territory, in which I have been
doing some field work.

The shot of the incline is, I think, Currie's line at Millgrove
("Mountains of Ash" territory). The second photo MAY be the North-
Eastern mill at Murrindindi - there is a photo in "Timber Mountain"
which might help. The third photo I cannot place, but it is certainly
an interesting arrangment of tramwlines. I would be interested in
higher resolution scans of photographs 2 and 3, which I would be happy
to receive off-line in an attempt to further identify them.

Cheers,
PeterE.

mcsawdust <mike.mccarthy@...>

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "John Hyett" <john.hyett@...> wrote:

Hi
I've just posted an album containing the relevant photos from some
one's walking tour from Millgrove to Warburton via Donna Buang of
which
I hold an envelope containingnegatives and what appears to be half
two thirds of the map. I suspect pre 1939 bushfires. I have enhanced
the map so that some of the pencil work is more visible. If any one
can
identify the sites I would appreciate that.
John Hyett
All three photos are of Currie's incline at Millgrove. The incline
was known as Jacob's ladder. The frame over the rails was there to
keep the incline cable from fouling with the limbs of the tres
alongside the track. See page 38 of "Mountains of Ash".
Interestingly one of the images is printed back-to-front!

mcsawdust <mike.mccarthy@...>

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "John Hyett" <john.hyett@...> wrote:

Hi
I've just posted an album containing the relevant photos from some
one's walking tour from Millgrove to Warburton via Donna Buang of
which
I hold an envelope containingnegatives and what appears to be half
two thirds of the map. I suspect pre 1939 bushfires. I have enhanced
the map so that some of the pencil work is more visible. If any one
can
identify the sites I would appreciate that.
John Hyett
I should have added that Currie's mill closed in 1927 so the images
were taken before that. They are earlier than other images at the
same location. My guess is they were taken around 1923-24.

Mike McCarthy