Kerang - Koondrook

bll_hnks

Yesterday whilst speaking with a retired railway man and knowing that he
worked in the greater Bendigo area, I asked what he remembered of the
Kerang to Koondrook tramway/railway.

He said that after the line was taken over by the railways, the
bus/truck vehicle was bought by a gentleman at Elmore. It was driven
from Kerang to Bendigo and turned for the trip to Elmore. A special
instruction was issued for the movement which was restricted to 10mph.
Once at Elmore the railway crane was used to lift is off the rails, but
sadly the slings broke and it crashed to the ground completely
destroying it. He was quite positive that it was a Ford truck with a
semi-trailer adapted for rail use.

Regards,

Bill Hanks.

Service <http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Frank Stamford

Last Friday I met with a Kerang-Koondrook tramway expert and we were discussing the possibility of doing a book on the line.

Anyway he mentioned the crane incident with the railcar. Although the crane (or its slings) collapsed there was very little damage to the railcar. It consisted of a Ford semi-trailer truck attached to the tramway's four-wheel passenger car . The purchaser used the passenger-car section as a shed, and retained the Ford truck, but apparently did not use it. Both may still exist, but if so are probably in poor condition.

At 10:05 AM 8/11/2006, you wrote:
Yesterday whilst speaking with a retired railway man and knowing that he
worked in the greater Bendigo area, I asked what he remembered of the
Kerang to Koondrook tramway/railway.

He said that after the line was taken over by the railways, the
bus/truck vehicle was bought by a gentleman at Elmore. It was driven
from Kerang to Bendigo and turned for the trip to Elmore. A special
instruction was issued for the movement which was restricted to 10mph.
Once at Elmore the railway crane was used to lift is off the rails, but
sadly the slings broke and it crashed to the ground completely
destroying it. He was quite positive that it was a Ford truck with a
semi-trailer adapted for rail use.

Regards,

Bill Hanks.

Service <<http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

bll_hnks

Today I was talking with a gentleman today who said he has seen the old
Ford truck from the KK Tramway on a property near Elmore.

Regards,

Bill Hanks

________________________________

At 10:05 AM 8/11/2006, you wrote:
Yesterday whilst speaking with a retired railway man and knowing that
he
worked in the greater Bendigo area, I asked what he remembered of the
Kerang to Koondrook tramway/railway.

He said that after the line was taken over by the railways, the
bus/truck vehicle was bought by a gentleman at Elmore. It was driven
from Kerang to Bendigo and turned for the trip to Elmore. A special
instruction was issued for the movement which was restricted to 10mph.
Once at Elmore the railway crane was used to lift is off the rails, but
sadly the slings broke and it crashed to the ground completely
destroying it. He was quite positive that it was a Ford truck with a
semi-trailer adapted for rail use.

Regards,

Bill Hanks.

<mailto:LRRSA-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com.au>
<mailto:LRRSA-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.au
<mailto:LRRSA-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com.au> ?subject=Unsubscribe>

Service
<<http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
<http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
<http://au.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> > .

Michael J

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Bill Hanks" <bhanks@...> wrote:

Today I was talking with a gentleman today who said he has seen the old
Ford truck from the KK Tramway on a property near Elmore.

As they say in the classics, someone "should" get it into a museum.

Cheers,

Michael

Frank Stamford

You can be assured several people have tried ...

Frank