Date   

Re: Purcell Locomotive at unidentified location - Can you help

Ellis Thornley <ellist@...>
 

This message was placed in my junk folder, the virus protection did not like it.

 

 

From: LRRSA@... [mailto:LRRSA@...] On Behalf Of John Dennis
Sent: Tuesday, 2 April 2013 8:04 PM
To: LRRSA Yahoogroup
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Purcell Locomotive at unidentified location - Can you help

 




Phil,

How did you attach/insert this image? All I get are base64 encodings in the email as text, rather than any attachment.

John

 

On 2 April 2013 20:28, Phil <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...> wrote:

 

Does anyone recognise the below location (or have any suggestions as to possibilities)?  It is a Purcell locomotive hauling a rake of Western dump trucks on light narrow-gauge track - 2ft to 3ft maybe?

Error! Filename not specified.

cheers  Phil Rickard

 





Re: Purcell Locomotive at unidentified location - Can you help

John Dennis
 

Phil,

How did you attach/insert this image? All I get are base64 encodings in the email as text, rather than any attachment.

John


On 2 April 2013 20:28, Phil <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...> wrote:
 

Does anyone recognise the below location (or have any suggestions as to possibilities)?  It is a Purcell locomotive hauling a rake of Western dump trucks on light narrow-gauge track - 2ft to 3ft maybe?



cheers  Phil Rickard



Purcell Locomotive at unidentified location - Can you help

Phil <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>
 

Does anyone recognise the below location (or have any suggestions as to
possibilities)? It is a Purcell locomotive hauling a rake of Western
dump trucks on light narrow-gauge track - 2ft to 3ft maybe?



cheers Phil Rickard


Re: Nerang Central Sugar Mill

Petan
 

No relics found so far on the Benowa sugar mill tramway, having checked east towards Isle of Capri, the Carrara Ferry site both sides of the river and west towards the Molendinar Railway exchange siding area.

Checked again without any success the sugar tramway route through the Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens again this arvo after a family picnic. The Nerang Central Sugar Mill Paddock extended from Benowa Road to Rosser Park which is now the Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens, with the mill on the western end of the mill paddock .

Cheers
Peter Cokley


Re: Neranwood Tramway was Gold Coast

Petan
 

If you visit Polly's country Kitchen at Neranwood, west of Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast, be sure to ask the older kitchen guy about the Neranwood Sawmill remains out the back. He is a wealth of information and easy to listen to. Try their hamburgers or scones and their bowl of chips looked enticing! Remember to check out the sawmill pictures in the café.

The large concrete remains match John Kerr's notes, although a little more overgrown then in John's pictures. Check John's notes so you do not fall into the trench in the middle!! The large vertical bolts for securing machinery, are still in place. I will post a few pictures in the next week or so.

Cafe on the creek side of the Mudgeeraba Springbrook Road near the turn off to the Little Nerang Dam, just east of where Little Nerang Creek crosses the Springbrook Road 28° 7'18.44"S 153°17'42.64"E

http://www.menulog.com.au/pollys_country_kitchen

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/gold-coast/pollys-country-kitchen/map.htm

http://www.pollyscountrykitchen.com/

On your drive out take a detour along Little Nerang Rd till it meets Range Road at the saddle between Mt Nimmel and Tallai Mountain 28° 5'40.45"S 153°18'42.89"E

You will know you are in the right place as the tramway went through that very distinctive saddle with high ground both to the northern and southern sides. The tramway route to the west of that road junction has a water board keep out sign and gate but the route to the east on the northern side of the road you came on, is easy to follow. Take a camera!

Part of the Mudgeeraba Moreton 40 chain to an inch map of 1925 [1.8 MB in size] is available for download from the following URL https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwQzBWSHdVQnJmMmM/edit?pli=1

Look bottom left, near where I labelled the map with blue text, for the pencilled in sawmill and the tramway leading east and north east from there. The pencil writing and tramway route was on the map before it was sealed in plastic at the state archives years ago. South of the sawmill you will find someone has also marked "Nerang Hardwood Coy", the mill owners.

If unsure, check Hairyleg's Google Earth and just follow that to the sawmill as well as the saddle.

Cheers
Peter Cokley


Re: Schoma locomotive and cars listed for auction

John Browning
 

Dear Tony

 

Many thanks

 

This is noted in the April edition of “Light Railways”, out soon.

 

     John

 


Re: Light rail news on CD

Bruce Wood
 

Thanks Frank – all downloaded, and now all is in order!
 
Thanks again, and best regards
Bruce
 
 
 

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
 
 


Hello Bruce,

All pdf's purchased from the online shop are available for immediate download once you have paid by credit card.

Go to the LRRSA Online shop:

http://lightrailw.cart.net.au/

then:

Click on "My Account" at the top right of the screen.

Login with your email address and password

You will then be given a list of your orders.

Click on the "VIEW DETAILS" symbol towards the right of the list.

You will then be given a list of the items in your order. For all downloadable items a DOWNLOAD button will be displayed on the right hand side. Click this to download the item.


Regards,

Frank

On 27/03/2013 8:19 AM, Bruce Wood wrote:
 
Hi Frank and folks,
 
Can anyone tell me how the Light Railways News  “CD information” is received? I went to the lrrsa on-line shop on 12/3/13 and “Added to basket” the CD. I note Frank’s email suggested a download, however ordering from the on-line shop, I got the impression that it would be a mail delivery and I didn’t notice any prompting to download a file? It has been just over two weeks now, and I haven’t received anything in the mail? Has something gone wrong with how I did the purchase?
 
Cheers
Bruce
 
 
 
From: Bruce Wood
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
 
Thanks Frank – you have answered all my questions. I will place an order asap!
 
Thanks again
Bruce
 
 
 
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
 
 

Hello Bruce,

"Light Railway News on CD-ROM" was a pioneering project, and is now obsolete.

It has been replaced with "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version". This consists of one single pdf file containing 2,458 A5 size pages, and is fully searchable with Adobe Reader. That is a far more elegant simple solution than the old "Light Railway News on CD-ROM", which would only work on Windows computers, and required installation of software to make use of the Windows Help system as it then existed.

Details of "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version" can be found here:

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRN_CDR.htm

and it is available for immediate download from the LRRSA Online Shop in the "Light Railways" category. The price is $19.00, or $9.50 if you are an LRRSA member. The file size is about 18Mb.

Microsoft no longer uses the Help System that the CD-ROM was designed for.

As a little bit of background, the Light Railway News on CD-ROM project was started in 1994 when CD-ROM burners had just fallen in price from $12,000 to $5,000 each and the price of a blank CD-ROM had just fallen from $250 each to $50 each. At these prices the project would not have been viable, but we were confident they would fall a lot more. The process of converting the printed LRN's to the correct format for the CD was complex and took four years to complete. By that time the price of CD-ROM burners was around $600 and blank CD-ROMs about $2.50 and at those prices the project was viable. The route we took using the Windows Help system and software called HDK (Hyper Text Development Kit) was the best available at the time.

Searchable pdf's of that size were not an option at that time, unfortunately.

Regards,

Frank


On 11/03/2013 1:37 PM, Bruce wrote:
 

Hi Folks,

I am trying to load the CD program on a Windows 7, 32-bit operating system. I cannot get it to work successfully. (I get a Windows error message, which tells me that the program will not open, but doesn't explain why?).

Is anyone using the CD on a Windows 7 operating system, and did you need to do any tricks to get it to work?

Thanks
Bruce

--- In mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au, Mike McCarthy mailto:mikemccarthy51@... wrote:
>
> Dave,
> Good point! You could be correct there. The other thing worth exploring is Compatability Mode within Windows 7. I haven't tried it with the LRN CD but it could work. Not sure if it is in all versions of Windows 7 though.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> Unemployed Layabout
> Ph: +61 3 97625847
> Mobile: +61 407700911
>
> On 25/03/2011, at 10:02 PM, "Dave Priestley" mailto:dave@... wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > I think it depends which version of Windows 7 you have.
> >
> > From memory don't you need Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL or above to use
> > Virtual_XP?
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au] On Behalf
> > Of Michael McCarthy
> > Sent: 25 March 2011 10:57
> > To: mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au
> > Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
> >
> > Barry,
> >
> > I use Windows 7 and had the same problem. The answer is to run the LRN CD
> > is Virtual XP mode. This involves setting up an XP environment within
> > Windows 7. You can then run practically anything that ran in XP that won't
> > run in Windows 7. It sounds complex but it isnt. If you google Windows
> > Virtual XP you will find out how to do it. I was using LRN on CD on Friday
> > evening this way.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --- In mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au, Frank Stamford wrote:
> > >
> > > All the work has been done to reformat this into a single pdf file
> > > consisting of about 2500 A5 size pages.
> > >
> > > It is a format ideal for hand held devices like iPads, and also easy
> > > to read on the screen.
> > >
> > > The only remaining work to be done is to design artwork for a CD jewel
> > > case, and find a company to make 100 CD-ROMs in jewel cases.
> > >
> > > This will be done eventually. But there are many other more urgent
> > > things to be done.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Frank
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On 25/03/2011 4:06 PM, A C Lynn Zelmer wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I wonder what the chances are of the LRRSA re-issuing this to work
> > > > on newer systems (and maybe also Mac & Linux) instead of having to
> > > > metaphorically standing on our heads to patch a broken system? I'm
> > > > running Vista on a Mac using Parallels and changes like this never
> > > > seem to survive the next update, regardless of whether it's an
> > > > update to Mac OS, Vista or Parallels.
> > > >
> > > > Ta, Lynn
> > > > --
> > > > Lynn Zelmer
> > > > Box 1414, Rockhampton QLD 4700 Australia http://www.zelmeroz.com
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
> > publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the
> > LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au
> >
> > This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the
> > LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions
> > expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of
> > the LRRSA Council of Management"
> > Yahoo!7 Groups Links
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>





Re: Fw: Re: Light rail news on CD

Frank Stamford
 


Hello Bruce,

All pdf's purchased from the online shop are available for immediate download once you have paid by credit card.

Go to the LRRSA Online shop:

http://lightrailw.cart.net.au/

then:

Click on "My Account" at the top right of the screen.

Login with your email address and password

You will then be given a list of your orders.

Click on the "VIEW DETAILS" symbol towards the right of the list.

You will then be given a list of the items in your order. For all downloadable items a DOWNLOAD button will be displayed on the right hand side. Click this to download the item.


Regards,

Frank

On 27/03/2013 8:19 AM, Bruce Wood wrote:
 

Hi Frank and folks,
 
Can anyone tell me how the Light Railways News  “CD information” is received? I went to the lrrsa on-line shop on 12/3/13 and “Added to basket” the CD. I note Frank’s email suggested a download, however ordering from the on-line shop, I got the impression that it would be a mail delivery and I didn’t notice any prompting to download a file? It has been just over two weeks now, and I haven’t received anything in the mail? Has something gone wrong with how I did the purchase?
 
Cheers
Bruce
 
 
 
From: Bruce Wood
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
 
Thanks Frank – you have answered all my questions. I will place an order asap!
 
Thanks again
Bruce
 
 
 
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
 
 


Hello Bruce,

"Light Railway News on CD-ROM" was a pioneering project, and is now obsolete.

It has been replaced with "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version". This consists of one single pdf file containing 2,458 A5 size pages, and is fully searchable with Adobe Reader. That is a far more elegant simple solution than the old "Light Railway News on CD-ROM", which would only work on Windows computers, and required installation of software to make use of the Windows Help system as it then existed.

Details of "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version" can be found here:

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRN_CDR.htm

and it is available for immediate download from the LRRSA Online Shop in the "Light Railways" category. The price is $19.00, or $9.50 if you are an LRRSA member. The file size is about 18Mb.

Microsoft no longer uses the Help System that the CD-ROM was designed for.

As a little bit of background, the Light Railway News on CD-ROM project was started in 1994 when CD-ROM burners had just fallen in price from $12,000 to $5,000 each and the price of a blank CD-ROM had just fallen from $250 each to $50 each. At these prices the project would not have been viable, but we were confident they would fall a lot more. The process of converting the printed LRN's to the correct format for the CD was complex and took four years to complete. By that time the price of CD-ROM burners was around $600 and blank CD-ROMs about $2.50 and at those prices the project was viable. The route we took using the Windows Help system and software called HDK (Hyper Text Development Kit) was the best available at the time.

Searchable pdf's of that size were not an option at that time, unfortunately.

Regards,

Frank


On 11/03/2013 1:37 PM, Bruce wrote:
 

Hi Folks,

I am trying to load the CD program on a Windows 7, 32-bit operating system. I cannot get it to work successfully. (I get a Windows error message, which tells me that the program will not open, but doesn't explain why?).

Is anyone using the CD on a Windows 7 operating system, and did you need to do any tricks to get it to work?

Thanks
Bruce

--- In mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au, Mike McCarthy mailto:mikemccarthy51@... wrote:
>
> Dave,
> Good point! You could be correct there. The other thing worth exploring is Compatability Mode within Windows 7. I haven't tried it with the LRN CD but it could work. Not sure if it is in all versions of Windows 7 though.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> Unemployed Layabout
> Ph: +61 3 97625847
> Mobile: +61 407700911
>
> On 25/03/2011, at 10:02 PM, "Dave Priestley" mailto:dave@... wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > I think it depends which version of Windows 7 you have.
> >
> > From memory don't you need Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL or above to use
> > Virtual_XP?
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au] On Behalf
> > Of Michael McCarthy
> > Sent: 25 March 2011 10:57
> > To: mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au
> > Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
> >
> > Barry,
> >
> > I use Windows 7 and had the same problem. The answer is to run the LRN CD
> > is Virtual XP mode. This involves setting up an XP environment within
> > Windows 7. You can then run practically anything that ran in XP that won't
> > run in Windows 7. It sounds complex but it isnt. If you google Windows
> > Virtual XP you will find out how to do it. I was using LRN on CD on Friday
> > evening this way.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --- In mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au, Frank Stamford wrote:
> > >
> > > All the work has been done to reformat this into a single pdf file
> > > consisting of about 2500 A5 size pages.
> > >
> > > It is a format ideal for hand held devices like iPads, and also easy
> > > to read on the screen.
> > >
> > > The only remaining work to be done is to design artwork for a CD jewel
> > > case, and find a company to make 100 CD-ROMs in jewel cases.
> > >
> > > This will be done eventually. But there are many other more urgent
> > > things to be done.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Frank
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On 25/03/2011 4:06 PM, A C Lynn Zelmer wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I wonder what the chances are of the LRRSA re-issuing this to work
> > > > on newer systems (and maybe also Mac & Linux) instead of having to
> > > > metaphorically standing on our heads to patch a broken system? I'm
> > > > running Vista on a Mac using Parallels and changes like this never
> > > > seem to survive the next update, regardless of whether it's an
> > > > update to Mac OS, Vista or Parallels.
> > > >
> > > > Ta, Lynn
> > > > --
> > > > Lynn Zelmer
> > > > Box 1414, Rockhampton QLD 4700 Australia http://www.zelmeroz.com
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
> > publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the
> > LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au
> >
> > This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the
> > LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions
> > expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of
> > the LRRSA Council of Management"
> > Yahoo!7 Groups Links
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>





Fw: Re: Light rail news on CD

Bruce Wood
 

Hi Frank and folks,
 
Can anyone tell me how the Light Railways News  “CD information” is received? I went to the lrrsa on-line shop on 12/3/13 and “Added to basket” the CD. I note Frank’s email suggested a download, however ordering from the on-line shop, I got the impression that it would be a mail delivery and I didn’t notice any prompting to download a file? It has been just over two weeks now, and I haven’t received anything in the mail? Has something gone wrong with how I did the purchase?
 
Cheers
Bruce
 
 
 

From: Bruce Wood
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
 
Thanks Frank – you have answered all my questions. I will place an order asap!
 
Thanks again
Bruce
 
 
 
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
 
 


Hello Bruce,

"Light Railway News on CD-ROM" was a pioneering project, and is now obsolete.

It has been replaced with "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version". This consists of one single pdf file containing 2,458 A5 size pages, and is fully searchable with Adobe Reader. That is a far more elegant simple solution than the old "Light Railway News on CD-ROM", which would only work on Windows computers, and required installation of software to make use of the Windows Help system as it then existed.

Details of "Light Railway News Nos 1 to 121 pdf version" can be found here:

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRN_CDR.htm

and it is available for immediate download from the LRRSA Online Shop in the "Light Railways" category. The price is $19.00, or $9.50 if you are an LRRSA member. The file size is about 18Mb.

Microsoft no longer uses the Help System that the CD-ROM was designed for.

As a little bit of background, the Light Railway News on CD-ROM project was started in 1994 when CD-ROM burners had just fallen in price from $12,000 to $5,000 each and the price of a blank CD-ROM had just fallen from $250 each to $50 each. At these prices the project would not have been viable, but we were confident they would fall a lot more. The process of converting the printed LRN's to the correct format for the CD was complex and took four years to complete. By that time the price of CD-ROM burners was around $600 and blank CD-ROMs about $2.50 and at those prices the project was viable. The route we took using the Windows Help system and software called HDK (Hyper Text Development Kit) was the best available at the time.

Searchable pdf's of that size were not an option at that time, unfortunately.

Regards,

Frank


On 11/03/2013 1:37 PM, Bruce wrote:
 

Hi Folks,

I am trying to load the CD program on a Windows 7, 32-bit operating system. I cannot get it to work successfully. (I get a Windows error message, which tells me that the program will not open, but doesn't explain why?).

Is anyone using the CD on a Windows 7 operating system, and did you need to do any tricks to get it to work?

Thanks
Bruce

--- In mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au, Mike McCarthy mailto:mikemccarthy51@... wrote:
>
> Dave,
> Good point! You could be correct there. The other thing worth exploring is Compatability Mode within Windows 7. I haven't tried it with the LRN CD but it could work. Not sure if it is in all versions of Windows 7 though.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> Unemployed Layabout
> Ph: +61 3 97625847
> Mobile: +61 407700911
>
> On 25/03/2011, at 10:02 PM, "Dave Priestley" mailto:dave@... wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > I think it depends which version of Windows 7 you have.
> >
> > From memory don't you need Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL or above to use
> > Virtual_XP?
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au] On Behalf
> > Of Michael McCarthy
> > Sent: 25 March 2011 10:57
> > To: mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au
> > Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Light rail news on CD
> >
> > Barry,
> >
> > I use Windows 7 and had the same problem. The answer is to run the LRN CD
> > is Virtual XP mode. This involves setting up an XP environment within
> > Windows 7. You can then run practically anything that ran in XP that won't
> > run in Windows 7. It sounds complex but it isnt. If you google Windows
> > Virtual XP you will find out how to do it. I was using LRN on CD on Friday
> > evening this way.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --- In mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au, Frank Stamford wrote:
> > >
> > > All the work has been done to reformat this into a single pdf file
> > > consisting of about 2500 A5 size pages.
> > >
> > > It is a format ideal for hand held devices like iPads, and also easy
> > > to read on the screen.
> > >
> > > The only remaining work to be done is to design artwork for a CD jewel
> > > case, and find a company to make 100 CD-ROMs in jewel cases.
> > >
> > > This will be done eventually. But there are many other more urgent
> > > things to be done.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Frank
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On 25/03/2011 4:06 PM, A C Lynn Zelmer wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I wonder what the chances are of the LRRSA re-issuing this to work
> > > > on newer systems (and maybe also Mac & Linux) instead of having to
> > > > metaphorically standing on our heads to patch a broken system? I'm
> > > > running Vista on a Mac using Parallels and changes like this never
> > > > seem to survive the next update, regardless of whether it's an
> > > > update to Mac OS, Vista or Parallels.
> > > >
> > > > Ta, Lynn
> > > > --
> > > > Lynn Zelmer
> > > > Box 1414, Rockhampton QLD 4700 Australia http://www.zelmeroz.com
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
> > publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the
> > LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au
> >
> > This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the
> > LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions
> > expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of
> > the LRRSA Council of Management"
> > Yahoo!7 Groups Links
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>



Schoma locomotive and cars listed for auction

Tony Smith
 

 
 I have noted on the Grays On Line page of auction listings a Schoma 2ft/2'6" diesel locomotive appears for sale in Somerton, Vic, along with 2 "Morta" cars (could these be Mortar, as in concrete for tunnel lining?). The listing appears to call for tenders closing 19 Feb, so I am not clear if they are still available, but then why would they still appear on their site?
 
Regards,
Tony
.


Re: "Light Railways" Editor

John Browning
 

Dear Sam

 

Thanks for your appreciation. We do try our best and I am certainly full of praise for the job that Bruce Belbin has done over a 15 year period.

 

While a level of autonomy and responsibility lies with those responsible for each section, I would like to characterise our editorial team as having been collaborative and interdependent.

And I have to say it is not a democracy – while we do respect each other’s contributions and competence, it does help for the members of the team to know that one person is prepared to make the hard calls after listening to the views of others. Bruce has been prepared to do that and I am grateful to him for having done so.

 

Lastly, I must also pay tribute to the members of LRRSA Council who have been most generous in their support for the editorial team and have been prepared to allow us to run the magazine within broad parameters.

 

While Sam has pointed to some of the standards of accuracy and reliability that we hope have been set, this should not put off anyone from wanting to take the reins. A wise editor will recognise that the processes and personnel to maintain quality standards are already in place.

 

It is now time for some new ideas and some new energy and it will be very disappointing if no one is prepared to put their hand up to come on board.

 

All best wishes

 

     John

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: “Light Railways” Editor

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...>
 

On 24/03/2013 20:51, gould_scott wrote:
Hello Eddie, Frank & Everyone else,

As one of the new sub editors, I can confirm Frank is absolutely correct in what he is saying. We work to a common style guide, but each of us is responsible for compiling and proofing our own sections, before submitting them for the editor to finalize the layout.
As Frank has pointed out, the layout won't be the responsibility of the new editor, but will be left to experts to keep the magazine looking as it does today.
Received articles are stored on a central point so we can all assist with proofing and adjusting to fit the style guide, and discussing with the author any issues that may arise.There are subject matter experts available to help with clarifying details, and are a great help. The final proofs are sent out to the whole team for checking, before being sent off to the printers. It's a team effort and seems to work well, hopefully we can continue to build on what we already do.

Scott, that's very encouraging. So it seems to me that the term 'editor' for the new position is a bit of a misnomer; it is more like 'chairperson/co-ordinator of the editorial group' or similar. The title won't matter production-wise, but it may affect someone's willingness to take on the role.


Re: “Light Railways” Editor

Sam Laybutt
 

Whilst I can't offer my time to assist, I would like to stress the importance of continuing this publication for the benefit of future generations, and thank those who do donate their time to keep the magazine going.


The extra checks and balances that go into articles in Light Railways generally mean they are more accurate - proof reading not only picking up typos and minor errors but also reviews by other experts in the field means that (unintentional) errors or misleading details are picked up. The nature of a magazine edition means that it is more permanent than, for example, a post on a railway discussion list or on a personal website. I'm always extremely grateful for the effort people put into not only researching but sharing the information with others and it's only fitting that their work should be published in something that will ensure that knowledge is shared to the next generation of rail historians. 


Cheers
Sam


Re: “Light Railways” Editor

gould_scott <sncs@...>
 

Hello Eddie, Frank & Everyone else,

As one of the new sub editors, I can confirm Frank is absolutely correct in what he is saying. We work to a common style guide, but each of us is responsible for compiling and proofing our own sections, before submitting them for the editor to finalize the layout.
As Frank has pointed out, the layout won't be the responsibility of the new editor, but will be left to experts to keep the magazine looking as it does today.
Received articles are stored on a central point so we can all assist with proofing and adjusting to fit the style guide, and discussing with the author any issues that may arise.There are subject matter experts available to help with clarifying details, and are a great help. The final proofs are sent out to the whole team for checking, before being sent off to the printers. It's a team effort and seems to work well, hopefully we can continue to build on what we already do.

Regards,

Scott

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Frank Stamford <frank.stamford@...> wrote:

On 24/03/2013 11:06 AM, Eddie Oliver wrote:
As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.
Excellent decision. Perhaps you need to go even further in giving
autonomy to the section editors.
To all intents and purposes, I believe that is already the case, and has
been since the new "Light Railways" was launched with issue No.139. It
cannot be 100% autonomy as there has to be agreement on things such as
presentation, and space allocation. I do not think the section editors
would want 100% autonomy, as the collaborative process is a help rather
than a hindrance.

Regards,

Frank


Re: “Light Railways” Editor

Frank Stamford
 

On 24/03/2013 11:06 AM, Eddie Oliver wrote:
As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.
Excellent decision. Perhaps you need to go even further in giving
autonomy to the section editors.
To all intents and purposes, I believe that is already the case, and has been since the new "Light Railways" was launched with issue No.139. It cannot be 100% autonomy as there has to be agreement on things such as presentation, and space allocation. I do not think the section editors would want 100% autonomy, as the collaborative process is a help rather than a hindrance.

Regards,

Frank


Re: “Light Railways” Editor

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...>
 

On 24/03/2013 10:55, Frank wrote:
There has been no response. (Maybe our members are telling us that "Light Railways" has had its day and it should go the way of the horse-drawn zeppelin?)
They are more likely telling you that the concept of an all-encompassing editor has gone that way.


As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.
Excellent decision. Perhaps you need to go even further in giving autonomy to the section editors.


New file uploaded to LRRSA

LRRSA@...
 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LRRSA
group.

File : /Light Railways editor.pdf
Uploaded by : fstamford <frank.stamford@bigpond.com>
Description : Light Railways editor - We need You!

You can access this file at the URL:
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/LRRSA/files/Light%20Railways%20editor.pdf

To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/au/yahoo7/groups/original/ownmod/web/index.htmlfiles

Regards,

fstamford <frank.stamford@bigpond.com>


Re: “Light Railways” Editor

Frank Stamford
 

Hello Peter,

There has been no response. (Maybe our members are telling us that "Light Railways" has had its day and it should go the way of the horse-drawn zeppelin?)

As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.

There will be another flyer going out to our members with the April issue of "Light Railways".

However members of this Yahoo Group can have a preview of the leaflet, as I am about to put a copy in the "Files" section under the title "Light Railways editor.pdf".

Regards,

Frank

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Peter" <yahoomail@...> wrote:

Any news yet?

Cheers
Peter Cokley


Re: “Light Railways” Editor

Petan
 

Any news yet?

Cheers
Peter Cokley


Fiji - Priority Issues Identified

Brad P
 

Priority issues identified

Felix Chaudhary
Wednesday, March 13, 2013

TWO of the biggest issues facing growers in the sugar industry, harvesting and transportation, have been given top priority by the Fiji Sugar Corporation.

This was the word from FSC representative Mahend Prasad to sugarcane growers attending industry consultations at Tagitagi in Tavua on Monday.

"We have identified a number of ways to address these issues and we are working hard to ensure that costs to growers are reduced so that cane farming becomes more profitable and people stay committed to the industry," he said.

Mr Prasad said some initiatives being put in place included the demarcation of priority production zones, increasing harvesting mechanisation, regulation of cane lorries, development of the rail system, establishment of trans-loading stations and access road development programs.

"Through increased mechanisation, harvesting costs can be reduced," he said.

"This will become more apparent after we conduct surveys to ascertain the actual cost of operating mechanical harvesters in Fiji.

"With the introduction of more machinery, farmers will have to ensure there are access ways for these machines onto and off the field. In terms of transportation, the railway network has been given priority because it is the cheapest mode of transportation.

"In the past, 70 per cent of all cane in Tagitagi was transported via rail. This has been reduced to 30 per cent."



--
Websites that your life would be incomplete without - Improve your life, visit today.
 

4161 - 4180 of 10268