Re: Australia's Colourful American Locomotives - a proposed new LRRSA book. - Parramatta SFL Steam Motor 2 and trailer at Parramatta Park Gatehouse c1890.jpg

Tony Smith

Looking at the Six Maps 1943 images shows the tram tracks turning not into O'Connell street, but into a terminal loop actually on the lot of land now occupied by the Parramatta Children's Court. This lot on the corner of George St and OConnell St was the original Depot for the trams. The "shaved" intersection you describe was a narrow peninsula of land that separated the loop from O'Connell St. While the Loop was part of the land the Children's Court is on, the "pensinsula" was resumed to become part of a wider O'Connell  St.

As the SFL trams ceased in March 1943, the Six Maps images show that the turn towards O'Connell St remained right to the end of the line (in both respects!)

On Wednesday, 6 November 2019, 11:46:07 am AEDT, Bill Bolton <billbolton@...> wrote:

Attached is another small photo of SFL 2 with an open platform trailer
at the Parramatta Park Gatehouse circa 1890.  The photo has come via a
NSW State archive, but I am uncertain exactly what the exact
provenance is.

Every other SFL tram shot I have seen at this location just showed a
stub terminal on George Street, so another surprise for me was that
the tracks once turned onto O'Connell Street.... though it does
explain why the Northern corner of that intersection is somewhat
"shaved", right through to this day!

BTW, George St Parramatta becomes bidirectional again from the end of
November 2019.

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia