From: "Kevin Sewell kevinrsewell@... [LRRSA]"
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Sunday, 4 March 2018, 15:49
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Pyrmont CSR

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 2:42 PM, Bob Mcleod wrote:

The molasses was largely used for distilling alcohol, and the resulting CO2 gas was compressed, also converted to dry ice. Pyrmont was a huge industrial complex, with a large range of by-products, and an engineering facility equal to anything in Australia.

BINGO!!! - then thats why the molasses went to CSRC at Lane Cove ... CSRC made industrial quantities of pure alcohol. It was shipped out by the stainless steel semitrailer tanker load.
I vaguely recall an incident probably about 1970, where workmen had to climb inside the tanker to wash it out for the next load, and were overcome by the fumes and became unconcious and died before they could be got out. I suppose alcoholic poisoning. The tank had not been fully drained after the previous load and there was still a small amount of pure alcohol in the tank. A somewhat different approach to WHS in those days.

Kevin
Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.