Re: TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC; more photographs from Wales.

Kevin Sewell

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:02 PM, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Thanks Michael,

I've never been to that line - but your lovely photos have prompted me to add it to the list for our next visit to the UK. It looks spectacular indeed.

John

On 19 February 2018 at 12:09, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Dear all,

Apologies for filling your inbox with emails that aren't relevant to the Australian Light Railways scene.

Of late I've been getting really interested in the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad in Maine USA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_River_and_Rangeley_Lakes_Railroad

I am planning a trip to Maine at some point to have a look at the three or four preservation sites in due course...

In the meantime I have been to have a look at the Brecon Mountain Railway near Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales. https://bmr.wales/
This was one of those places I've known about for years but have never been to.

It was a long day driving there from Porthmadog, but well worth it; their Baldwin tender locomotive was amazingly clean, and very impressive with an American chime whistle. The weather, whilst bright, was bitterly cold. I liked the railway so much I went for a second ride but on the footplate.

I also had a quick look round their works where another Baldwin is nearing the end of a long rebuild.

I have uploaded a collection of images to Flickr. Have a look if you're interested:

Cheers,

Michael Chapman, UK.

Kevin

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.