Re: Timber tramway proposed near Launceston, 1855

Frank Stamford

Hello David,

The reference to gauge has now been removed from the article - which I think is the right approach.

4 ft 6 in is more plausible than 3 ft 6 in,  but without documentary evidence it is just a guess.

On 17/01/2018 8:54 PM, 'David Halfpenny (Yahoo 2)' david.halfpenny@... [LRRSA] wrote:

On 17 Jan 2018, at 09:20, frank..stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

The link below is to a very interesting item about a timber tramway proposed in 1855 and partly built near Launceston, Tasmania. (Not to be confused with Grubb's Tramway near Zeehan, which operated about 40 years later). There is a very detailed map. I question the statement in the Wikipedia article that this tramway was 3 ft 6 in gauge, as that gauge was almost unknown in 1855. I would like to see some evidence from the period before accepting that!

It’s been corrected to 4’ 6” Frank, which is the old Scotch gauge and very plausible for the period.

David 1/2d