I post to open groups like ours, and my friends do not receive any notifications. I "like" photos and make comments on posts in open groups and my friends do not see any notifications. (My wife is a facebook friend so I can monitor these things)

If you "unfollow" the group then you will get no notifications either, which is the way I have my groups set up. I have to explicitly go to a group to see activity. However if you do not unfollow a group and then "like" or comment on a post in your timeline then I guess it goes to all your friends.

John

On 17 September 2017 at 21:37, Geoffrey gnhansen29@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

I do think the Facebook groups are good for photos but I do feel uneasy about sharing my railway interest with my non railway/transport friends hence I prefer to post in closed groups as I like to only share my hobby with people of the same interest. I suppose I'm conscious of my image and don't want to bore my non transport friends especially as there seem to many groups that cover very similar topics.

Regards
Geoffrey

From: LRRSA@... <LRRSA@...> on behalf of Kevin Sewell kevinrsewell@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2017 9:04:06 PM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] : New Facebook Group: Light Railways of Australia

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 at 8:38 PM, John Dennis wrote:

David,

Whilst what you say is true, too, if somebody creates a facebook page for the sole purpose of joining a railway group, then surely there should be less concerns?

John

Don't know about that. I was lucky enough to go to Wings Over Illawara this year with a mate. I was astounded at the screaming foamer  plane spotters. Mentioning to my mate how odd (some downright weird and spooky) they were, he gave me a disbelieving look and said, "do you not realise that's how strange you train-spotters are to the rest of society???" It was an eye-opener for me. I don't consider us strange, but clearly lots of people do.

--
Don't just answer the question, question the answer.