Re: : New Facebook Group: Light Railways of Australia

Brad P

Hi Stuart,
               Fully agree on all points. There does seem more of a fear of Facebook, more so than other online forums, out there.
  Having owned (still do) many Yahoogroups and Facebook groups, I have noted a huge decline in the former, while the later have grown far beyond anything I could have dreamed of on Yahoogroups.
  The Yahoogroup search function seems to work better, but apart from that, I could not be happier with Facebook groups. I was one of those who avoided it in the early days, but in the eight years I have utilized it I can't say I have had any issues that I have not had elsewhere.
  I do have a wall. However, as has been said, you do not need to do as such to use the groups. A fake account can be set up (Facebook is cracking down on this now days) and groups joined.
  It would be advisable to approach the group owner first. Most of us really police applications for signs that you are interested in the topic. New accounts are treated with some suspicion by anyone who cares who comes on.

  I have three groups relevant to the LRRSA. All being research special interest type groups.
  None have been an issue, all enjoy a slowly growing membership and attract some truly great content. A terrific research tool as well.

Regards
Brad

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Copy Text Online copytext@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Sorry to revisit a subject that's a few days old but I think that some of you guys need to understand the reality of the world today.

I've been working in online marketing for the last 20 years and I can tell all of you who are afraid of joining Facebook because they will invade your privacy that that bus has already gone and the idea that you have anything left to protect is delusional.

You've joined this list on Yahoo and guess what ... there will be a Yahoo cookie on your computer that is constantly sending back a stream of data to Yahoo.

You've searched on Google and that means that there's a Google cookie on your computer that is constantly sending back a stream of information about you to Google and they are using every little bit of that data to compile a very comprehensive view of you.

You use Woolworths or Coles loyalty cards when you make a purchase? Those guys now know more about you than you know about yourself.

Sure, Facebook is going to gather information about you but what is it going to collect that you haven't already given away?

The only thing that you are doing by refusing to join Facebook is cutting yourself off from the information that you're interested in and no one in marketing cares whether you join or not because they already know everything there is to know about you.

It's a fact of life right now. You're really not protecting anything.

Of course you don't have to believe me ... you can keep living in your dream world ... but you can't escape the facts. If you want to be online ... even just for email ... then you have already given up everything that's worth knowing about you.

Stuart

--
Total Website Management & CopyTextOnline
Making words and websites work for you