Re: Follow-up to GPS article -re UAV's

John Cleverdon <johnc@...>

Hello Iain/all,
Some further comments about drones.
Last year at work, we hired an external company to fly a drone over a couple of development projects we are involved with (Martha Cove at Safety Beach and Marriott Waters at Lyndhurst), recording some impressive MPEG4 video. This was 1280*720 resolution and 30fps. These clips aren't online but looking at them on my home or work PC's indicates pretty good quality (a 6-minute clip is nearly 600MB in size).

Developers at a couple of other projects we are involved with have also got some drone video footage of their own for the official websites; these are at:
http://myjubilee.com.au/latest-construction-video-update/ - Jubilee at Wyndham Vale
http://satterley.com.au/tarneit/ - Habitat at Tarneit

I was also at a professional conference a couple of weeks back (coincidentally with a 'heritage' theme) and one of the speakers (Anton van Wyk from Spatial Technologies - http://spatialtechnologies.com.au/) was talking about using drones and data capture at heritage sites; this included (as an example) using a drone to help create a 3D 'point cloud' model of the conference venue.
If/when this talk is put online, I'll try and remember to post the URL here.
The trade displays included some drones as well, one being a 'flying wing' design while another was a larger circular 'eight-rotor' drone.

John Cleverdon
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
John's web page: http://users.cdi.com.au/~johnc/
LinkedIn: http://au.linkedin.com/pub/john-cleverdon/a/a81/2b