Re: A Sentinel Steam Locomotive in Tasmania?

Noel Reed

Was the Tasmanian Sentinel locomotive like one of  these ?

Noel Reed.

From: LRRSA@... [mailto:LRRSA@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 21 September 2016 11:46 AM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] A Sentinel Steam Locomotive in Tasmania?

Hello Ian,

Very interesting photographs.

Britton's tramway and that locomotive - with pictures of it intact - appeared in Light Railways No.143.

On 21/09/2016 11:18 AM, 'Ian Barnes' ibarnes@... [LRRSA] wrote:

Hi everyone

I’m not very familiar with some of the tramway “locomotives” derived from road traction engines, but I attach some photos I took in 1976 at Britton’s Swamp, Tasmania.  They show what appears to be an abandoned road traction engine, a Marshall?.  (I lost a lot of sweat that day brush hooking back the blackberries to get a good look at it!)

I was assured by Mr Britton, who owned the land, it was used as a locomotive on their family timber tramway.  I also seem to remember seeing an old photo of the engine in its operational state on track.  I also remember being in Mr Britton’s shed inspecting the chains which drove the bogies on which the engine apparently sat.  No photo I’m afraid.

On a CD, I sent a copy of these photos, with other tramway photos of other subjects, to Bruce Belbin in 2009.  He was editor of LR at the time.

Regards

Ian Barnes

No virus found in this message.