Re: Lazy points [1 Attachment]

Noel Reed

A problem with so called ‘lazy points’  at Sydney EMU train car depots was that simple spring levers which are supposed to snap over  when trailed do not completely close fully against the opposite stock rail. This can be caused by lack of maintenance or failure to clean debris below the switch blade. There have been cases of tram derailments  and of  bogie or articulated trams taking different routes due to blockage or damage to the ‘in road’ toggle spring mechanism.

NSWR S&C Branch developed a spring point mechanism which was larger than the simple Thompson or Thornley  types, but it was almost impossible for a trailing movement to leave the blades ‘half over’. This was developed to prevent derailments at train depots which can result in major delays at periods when trains are to leave before peak periods.

Noel Reed.

Sent: Wednesday, 18 May 2016 9:50 PM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Lazy points [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Rod Hutchinson included below]

This may be an example at Cape Point (east of Cape of Good Hope), South Africa.

Rod Hutchinson
Mooroolbark
Australia

Registrar: Australian Narrow Gauge Railway Convention, Easter 2017
http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com
https://m.facebook.com/13th-Australian-Narrow-Gauge-Convention-2017-1050060581724879/

On 18 May 2016 9:41 pm, "Tony Smith smith_a_b@... [LRRSA]" <LRRSA@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Tony Smith included below]

The Wellington Cable Car in NZ ( Things To Do in Wellington | Wellington Cable Car ) is a cable operated single track incline with a passing loop in the centre. There are two cars, one on each end of the cable, and 5 stations, equally spaced apart so that when one is at the top (Kelburn), the other is at the bottom (Lambton Quay). When one is at Clifton station, the other is at Salamanca. Both meet in the passing loop station at Talavera. The passing loop is operated with lazy points, with the points lying in the position that they were last trailed through.

I have a recollection that the Peak Tram, in Hong Kong also operates in the same way.

From: "Philip Hammon philip.hammon@... [LRRSA]" <LRRSA@...>
To: "lrrsa@..." <lrrsa@...>
Sent: Wednesday, 18 May 2016, 10:07
Subject: [LRRSA] Lazy points

Hello,

I am giving a talk to the Mt Victoria Historical Society on Saturday about forgotten technologies, and I am including lazy points, i.e. self-operating points used on 2’ gauge tramways and gravity inclines in 19th century.

Can anybody tell me if they are still used anywhere?

Regards

Philip Hammon

190 Cliff Drive

Katoomba 2780

Error! Filename not specified.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7597 / Virus Database: 4568/12251 - Release Date: 05/17/16

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.