Re: Lazy points

Tony Smith

The Wellington Cable Car in NZ ( Things To Do in Wellington | Wellington Cable Car ) is a cable operated single track incline with a passing loop in the centre. There are two cars, one on each end of the cable, and 5 stations, equally spaced apart so that when one is at the top (Kelburn), the other is at the bottom (Lambton Quay). When one is at Clifton station, the other is at Salamanca. Both meet in the passing loop station at Talavera. The passing loop is operated with lazy points, with the points lying in the position that they were last trailed through.

I have a recollection that the Peak Tram, in Hong Kong also operates in the same way.

From: "Philip Hammon philip.hammon@... [LRRSA]"
To: "lrrsa@..."
Sent: Wednesday, 18 May 2016, 10:07
Subject: [LRRSA] Lazy points

Hello,

I am giving a talk to the Mt Victoria Historical Society on Saturday about forgotten technologies, and I am including lazy points, i.e. self-operating points used on 2’ gauge tramways and gravity inclines in 19th century.
Can anybody tell me if they are still used anywhere?

Regards
Philip Hammon
190 Cliff Drive
Katoomba 2780