Re: : Re: Balls Head

Michael McCarthy

I think they are. Victoria Dock for example had Central Pier which featured numbered wharves along both sides as it jutted out from the end of the dock.
Generally speaking I think Australian usage would see a pier being a more substantially constructed and larger for of a jetty.
Cheers
Mike

Mobile: +61 407700911

On 1 Mar 2016, at 12:43 PM, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Indeed. And perhaps the largest container berth in Melbourne is Appleton Dock.

Looks to me as though the names are all interchangable...

John

On 29 February 2016 at 23:07, Mike McCarthy mike.mccarthy51@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

I disagree with the orientation point. Melbourne had many wharves that were at right angles to the shore. It's about function. Wharves to me are facilities where ships/boats berthed to take on/ take off people/cargo. The direction they pointed is irrelevant.
You can tie a boat up to anything.  Many jetties had landing platforms to tie up to. The platforms sometimes are referred to as wharves. It's all pretty subjective.
Mike

Mobile: +61 407700911

On 29 Feb 2016, at 22:38, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Fair enough. I agree with your jetty/pier descriptions then . However boats tie up to both jetties and piers, as well as wharves. My description of a wharf would include something indicating "running parallel to the coast/river bank" as opposed to jutting out into the water.

But. there are exceptions everywhere, I am sure...

John

On 29 February 2016 at 22:28, Mike McCarthy mike.mccarthy51@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

More of description than a definition and in any case I wasn't referring to length. I was referring to how substantial a structure it is. If it was of typical wooden pile construction and a couple of meters in width it would be a jetty to me. If it was of concrete construction I would be inclined to call it a pier.
I suspect pier vs jetty is a bit subjective. What I gave is how I would describe each. How someone else does is their business.
Its a bit like boat vs ship and tramway vs railway. There is a big grey zone. Also some structures start off as small jetties and continue to be referred to as such even if a century later they are of much more substantial construction. "Welshpool jetty" for example is very much a pier to me these days.

Mike

Mobile: +61 407700911

On 29 Feb 2016, at 19:55, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

The Carnarvon Jetty and the Port Germein Jetty, both about one mile long, sort of contradict your "small/medium" definition.

John

On 29 February 2016 at 19:47, mike.mccarthy51@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

My own definition/description would be:
Jetty - a small/medium sized wooden structure jutting out from a shoreline
Pier - a large wooden or masonry structure jutting out from a shoreline
Wharf - a structure that boats or ships tie up to.

This is how I have always understood things but can't recall why I have come to understand these structures in this way.
Cheers,
Mike