Re: : Re: Balls Head

John Dennis

Indeed. And perhaps the largest container berth in Melbourne is Appleton Dock.

Looks to me as though the names are all interchangable...

John

On 29 February 2016 at 23:07, Mike McCarthy mike.mccarthy51@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

I disagree with the orientation point. Melbourne had many wharves that were at right angles to the shore. It's about function. Wharves to me are facilities where ships/boats berthed to take on/ take off people/cargo. The direction they pointed is irrelevant.
You can tie a boat up to anything.  Many jetties had landing platforms to tie up to. The platforms sometimes are referred to as wharves. It's all pretty subjective.
Mike

Mobile: +61 407700911

On 29 Feb 2016, at 22:38, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Fair enough. I agree with your jetty/pier descriptions then . However boats tie up to both jetties and piers, as well as wharves. My description of a wharf would include something indicating "running parallel to the coast/river bank" as opposed to jutting out into the water.

But. there are exceptions everywhere, I am sure...

John

On 29 February 2016 at 22:28, Mike McCarthy mike.mccarthy51@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

More of description than a definition and in any case I wasn't referring to length. I was referring to how substantial a structure it is. If it was of typical wooden pile construction and a couple of meters in width it would be a jetty to me. If it was of concrete construction I would be inclined to call it a pier.
I suspect pier vs jetty is a bit subjective. What I gave is how I would describe each. How someone else does is their business.
Its a bit like boat vs ship and tramway vs railway. There is a big grey zone. Also some structures start off as small jetties and continue to be referred to as such even if a century later they are of much more substantial construction. "Welshpool jetty" for example is very much a pier to me these days.

Mike

Mobile: +61 407700911

On 29 Feb 2016, at 19:55, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

The Carnarvon Jetty and the Port Germein Jetty, both about one mile long, sort of contradict your "small/medium" definition.

John

On 29 February 2016 at 19:47, mike.mccarthy51@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

My own definition/description would be:
Jetty - a small/medium sized wooden structure jutting out from a shoreline
Pier - a large wooden or masonry structure jutting out from a shoreline
Wharf - a structure that boats or ships tie up to.

This is how I have always understood things but can't recall why I have come to understand these structures in this way.
Cheers,
Mike