Re: : Re: Balls Head

Michael McCarthy

More of description than a definition and in any case I wasn't referring to length. I was referring to how substantial a structure it is. If it was of typical wooden pile construction and a couple of meters in width it would be a jetty to me. If it was of concrete construction I would be inclined to call it a pier.
I suspect pier vs jetty is a bit subjective. What I gave is how I would describe each. How someone else does is their business.
Its a bit like boat vs ship and tramway vs railway. There is a big grey zone. Also some structures start off as small jetties and continue to be referred to as such even if a century later they are of much more substantial construction. "Welshpool jetty" for example is very much a pier to me these days.

Mike

Mobile: +61 407700911

On 29 Feb 2016, at 19:55, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

The Carnarvon Jetty and the Port Germein Jetty, both about one mile long, sort of contradict your "small/medium" definition.

John

On 29 February 2016 at 19:47, mike.mccarthy51@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

My own definition/description would be:
Jetty - a small/medium sized wooden structure jutting out from a shoreline
Pier - a large wooden or masonry structure jutting out from a shoreline
Wharf - a structure that boats or ships tie up to.

This is how I have always understood things but can't recall why I have come to understand these structures in this way.
Cheers,
Mike