Re: Balls Head

Eddie Oliver

On 28/02/2016 22:35, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] wrote:
I guess that's American English. I have never heard of any Australian breakwater called either a pier or a jetty.

I'm not so sure. I think it was quite common when I was young for 'jetty' to be used for rock constructions that jutted out into water and had flat tops that could be walked on. [The word 'jut' may come from the same root as well.] They were arguably mini-breakwaters, so that perhaps there is another line of enquiry as to how big such a structure has to be in order to be called a breakwater.
provides an interesting array of objects variously known as piers and jetties, and breakwaters are also mentioned - perhaps someone could analyse the differences (if any) between those piers and jetties.

I hope that the good residents of Long Jetty on the central coast of NSW are not going to be compelled to change the name to Long Pier.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.