Re: Balls Head

Eddie Oliver

On 28/02/2016 21:41, Greg Stephenson greg.stephenson@... [LRRSA] wrote:

I always think about a jetty heading out at right angles to the shore

which is consistent with the word being derived from the same base as the French word jeter, which means to throw - so the jetty throws away from the shore.

The use of the terms jetty, wharf and pier seem to be pretty interchangable with newspaper writers so searching all terms is recommended in resources like Trove.

indeed. I disagree with the message that started this thread, which asserted a 'pedantic' difference (implying non-overlap) between pier and jetty. I suggest that in fact they at least overlap even if they are not completely interchangeable. Something can simultaneously be a pier and a jetty.