From: "'Noel Reed' noelreed10@... [LRRSA]"
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Thursday, 25 February 2016, 18:15
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Re:: Balls Head coal loader

Towards the end of its operation, the Balls Head loader cable railway was replaced by conveyor belts..

Belts in either one or both tunnels under the coal stack discharged coal onto a longer belt aligned at 90 degrees to the other(s) from the shore to the end of the jetty.  As I remember, the steelwork of the conveyor belt on the jetty was coloured light green.

Considering the mechanics of the cable railway skip wagon filling chutes, the change to belts could have been to avoid blockage of the tracks in the tunnels by coal which fell to the track between successive moving wagons.

This could be a problem similar to the mechanics of chutes below coal bins at most big mines.
When electric locos were used on western coal trains, another problem feature would be the means to provide continuous DC power to the locos but remove any obstruction to the coal falling from the bin.

Do electric loco hauled coal trains in Queensland have a similar problem ?

Noel Reed.