Re: OFF TOPIC German narrow gauge

Stefan

On 02/01/2016 12:44, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
I beg to differ.

I don't think this can be regarded a true articulation, as found on Mallet or Beyer-Garratt locos. It is more a system to give a bit more flexibility and side-ways movement to the outer coupled axles.

These type of "bogies" (Krauss-Helmholtz, etc.) actually consist of a linkage between the pony-trucks and their adjacent coupled axles to push the driving axles a bit sideways and so ease its passage through sharp curves. They were often used on long-wheelbase, coupled locos in Europe, although I don't think they were much used here or the rest of the "English-speaking" world. The Germans also tried out various types of "flexible-wheelbase" locos, such a Luttermoller and Klein-Lindner, in which the end axles did actually pivot a bit on curves; there was no actual axle-pivoting in the Krauss-Helmholtz system.

There is no actual "hinge" between two groups of coupled wheels, to allow them to take up an angle to each other, as in true articulated locos.

--
Brian Rumary
England