Burleigh Coney Fair

Petan

Burleigh Heads Gold Coast had a Coney Fair with a miniature train and a juvenile train ride, with those interesting terms in the 1961 newspaper advertisement. I wonder if we have any former passengers in our group? The file size of the advertisement is 500KB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwMWM0SEYwcmprRUU/view

The following link goes to text (650KB) indicates the Burleigh one had operated for seven years already and wanted a more permanent site at Burleigh https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwVHNZLVR4d21FRTg/view

Ted Marcovitch and his Coney Fair have Trove entries indicating temporary locations around the countryside eg http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/147537841

The term Coney Fair was somewhat common as well.  John Knowles’ in the following article reports on one around Dalby in the 1940s 1950s; Miniature Trains on the Shows Circuit in Sunshine Express, December 1984. Trove for 1949 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/188516800  has a  Coney Fair in Goodwin Park Coolangatta which is in Lanham St, not near the beach site which also had a ride on steam train as per Kevin Sewell’s material previously posted in this group.

Cheers

Peter Cokley