From: ajcoen@bigpond.com [LRRSA] <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au>
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au;
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Geeveston/Hopetoun electric loco
Good posed photo., James. Note the chocks under the wagon wheels!
It?s certainly a Russell Allport product ? the name is stamped on the underframe.
As for where and when it is, that?s difficult. I had never heard of this machine before, but I provide the following comments:
a.. The gauge appears to be 3?6?;
b.. The closely-spaced buffers replicate those on the Kennedy-built log-hauler loco. that worked on Tyler?s 3?6? gauge Tramway at Ida Bay. There was no electricity there and the jetty was not very wide;
c.. There are stacks of floor boards and 4x4 beams on the pier/wharf. They could indicate end products from Huon Timber Coy?s. Mill at Whale Pt., Geeveston, where there was ample electricity.
May I suggest that this is a photo. of a trial run of an electric loco. The overhead appears to be a temporary set-up. The background is similar and close enough to the pier to be HTC?s port and as already stated, electricity was available at the nearby large mill. The loco. may have been ordered for a mining show, but I don?t recognize it from any Tasmanian workings except that it is similar to the early Cornwall Coal Coy. underground engine. There is always the possibility of it being used as shunting engine between HTC?s mill and the pier head, but again, no evidence of that occurring has been sighted. A 3?6? gauge line ran along the pier, but no loco. has been photographed working on it. Additionally, the pier always seemed to be cluttered with timber and which suggested trolley wagon use prevailed.
All supposition on my part, James, but I have no other ideas. Hope somebody can shed some light.
Cheers,
Tony Coen.