Norm Wadeson OAM

Roderick Smith

For convenience, have the Melbourne 'Herald Sun' tributes to date.

WADESON OAM. Norman Edward (Norm) Passed away peacefully at Peninsula Grange
on Aug. 10, 2015 in his 90th year The passing of an era. Norm was a loving
husband to Phyllis (dec. ); much loved father of Ross and his wife Merrilyn,
Andrea and her husband Rob and Nevan and his wife Deb. Proud grandfather of
Karina, Merryn, Steven, Adam, Lyndsey, Stella and Edie. Reunited with Phyl.
Always in our hearts Please refer to Friday and Monday's editions for
Funeral details.
WADESON. Norm. The Mornington Railway Preservation Society Inc. mourns the
passing of Norm Wadeson, Life Member, a good friend, mentor and supporter of
our organisation. His influence, character and enthusiasm helped us through
our formative years, and in later years, he was always available to help
when it was needed. He will be sadly missed
WADESON OAM. Norman Edward (Norm) It is with a great sense of sadness that
we advise the death of Norm Wadeson who passed away peacefully on Monday
Aug. 10, aged 90. Norm has made an enormous contribution to the Puffing
Billy Railway, firstly helping to ensure its survival and reopening in the
sixties, and later playing a pivotal role in the management and governance
of the railway, including significant terms on the PBPS Executive and the
ETR Board. We owe an enormous debt of gratitude to Norm for the tenacious
manner in which he advocated the interests of the PBR during his long period
of service which spanned well over 50 years. His negotiating and advocacy
skills were vital in many a critical meeting which would ultimately
determine the future of the PBR. Norm has been a close friend and mentor to
many of us over a long period of years and the Puffing Billy Family will be
all the poorer for his passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with Norm's
family at this sad time.
WADESON. Norm (OAM). A sad goodbye to our much loved cousin Norm. Dos and
Ken Jenkin, Leoni, Bronwyn, Braden, Suzi and families. His life was an
inspiration His memory a benediction
<http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/notice/188472013/view?random=1439599656933
#sthash.kwqVAdWX.dpuf>

WADESON OAM, Norman Edward (Norm) WADESON OAM. The Funeral of Norman Edward
(Norm) Wadeson will be held at the Boyd Chapel, Princes Hwy, Springvale on
THURSDAY (Aug. 20, 2015) with a Service commencing at 1.45 p. m.
Refreshments will be served at the conclusion of the Service. In lieu of
flowers, donations may be made to the Mornington Railway. Envelopes will be
available at the Chapel. - See more at:
<http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/notice/194162018#sthash.rDvFdrtH.dpuf>

Here is his OAM citation:
Name: WADESON, Norman Edward
Award: Medal of the Order of Australia
Post-nominal: OAM
Date granted: 13 June 2005
Langwarrin South, Vic.
Citation: For service to the community, particularly as a contributor to the
development of the Puffing Billy Railway.

Adding to these, other aspects mentioned by people:
The consummate gentleman.
Also active with the early united efforts for broad-gauge steam
preservation.
Had all the key contacts in Forests Commission, which is how the Climax came
to Puffing Billy: about a decade of static preservation, recommissioning in
Nov.88, about 10 years of work, another lapse, then recommissioning in 2013.
He operated a miniature live steam railway at his family house.
Norm was an early cinematographer. People remember him luggage 16 mm
equipment. The result is that there is colour coverage today of early
narrow-gauge and timber-line scenes. Some have been made available on
tape/cd/dvd:
www.steammediaproductions.com.au/gaslight.html
A Climax article by Norm:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~narrow.gauge/tyersv.htm

Enclosed: my b&w photo of the Sat.12.11.88 recommissioning. It doesn't look
like Norm from that distance and in that light, but I wouldn't have
photographed anyone else. He seems to be wearing a VR uniform cap, which
may be camouflaging the features which I remember: the silver hair, and the
moustache. I hope to scan the colour slide today, but it is affected even
more by the harsh light. Others may have been standing closer.
Left to right: NA8(black)-NA14(red); centre Climax 1694; right NA7(green).
This has to be in the gap 10.53-11.23, so the speeches must have been short.
I rode behind 1694 (Belgrave 9.23; Menzies Creek 10.12).
Tasman arrived at 10.34, NA7.
The 10.30 down at 10.53, NA8-NA14. Before departure, the rear three
carriages were detached, and the second NA (not the leading one).
The full-size scan is available to anyone who emails me.

Roderick B Smith (retired RNV editor)