Re: Christmas Island 79

Brad P

Here is another shot of a loco on Christmas Island

https://flic.kr/p/ohRSuE

He is listing this as a Whitcomb.

Brad

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Brad Peadon <alcogoodwin@...> wrote:
Hi Noel,
             Are you saying the one in the shot above is not one of the 79 class?
  I saw a shot of the other type that were delivered and while the lowering of the nose on the 79 class made them look similar, I thought it was to far removed in cab look to be one of the 79 class.
 The loco in this shot does appear to have had its cab corners cut back as per the modification made to the 79s by NSWGR.

  About to finish work for the day. Will try to locate the shot of the other loco heavily buried in bush.

Brad

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:33 PM, 'Noel Reed' noelreed10@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

The loco pictured was one of those which went to the phosphate railway at Christmas Island..

The head light and marker lights are different to be those used on the 79’s on the  NSWGR. Knuckle couplers were not used on those in Sydney as most carriages shunted in Sydney Yard were screw coupled.

The 79s used in Sydney also had the sides of the cab roof mitred to conform with the loading gauge.  This would have been a modification after importation from the USA.  Do ARHS archives give any indication of its origin?

Noel Reed.