Re: : OFF TOPIC: More photographs from the UK

Michael C.

Hi all,

On the 26th May a question was asked about some of the background details in some of my images on Flickr. These are the images:

I've now received an answer from the Armley Mills Industrial Museum:

Snip>>>>>

Dear Michael,

My colleague Lucy said that you wished to know more about an object that you saw during the Sierra Leone weekend.

The mystery object is actually a foot bridge that was made in Leeds and may in fact be one of the oldest footbridges in the world.

The bridge was constructed of cast iron in six sections and built by the Kirkstall Forge Company for the Great Northern Railway at Retford and later transferred to Todds Green between Stevenage and Hitchin.

The footbridge has a fish-bellied main frame with vertical members extending to hold horizontal wrought iron tension bars. Wrought iron parapet base also attached, with box frame and cross members to support a timber deck. The total span of the bridge is 52ft with a 5ft rise. The shallow cast iron arch was originally supported on brick abutments incorporating arched brick piers and staircases.

The footbridge is No. 93.a and was known as 'Halfpenny Bridge' where it stood at Toods Green. This name may relate to its former use as a toll bridge.

It is hoped that we will be able to restore the bridge in the near future now that we know more of its significance to our railway history.

Thanks for your enquiry,

Regards,

Amy

Amy Jenkinson

Assistant Curator of Industrial History

Leeds Industrial Museum Armley Mills

End snip<<<<<

I hope this helps?

Cheers,

Michael Chapman

Follow my railway adventures on Flickr at http://tinyurl.com/nlvlnmt
Follow me on Twitter @mikenarrowgauge
Support the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WHHRly

In a message dated 29/05/2015 21:42:34 GMT Daylight Time, Chapmanmchapman@... writes:
Hello again,

I have made some enquiries with the people at Armley Mills and unfortunately the person who will know is on leave until the 16th June.

If and when I receive any more information I'll come back to you.

Cheers,

Michael Chapman

Follow my railway adventures on Flickr at http://tinyurl.com/nlvlnmt
Follow me on Twitter @mikenarrowgauge
Support the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WHHRly

In a message dated 29/05/2015 02:03:57 GMT Daylight Time, LRRSA@... writes:

I'm not sure what's in the background of that image - I will investigate and come back to you.

Michael Chapman

Follow my railway adventures on Flickr at http://tinyurl.com/nlvlnmt
Follow me on Twitter @mikenarrowgauge
Support the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WHHRly

In a message dated 26/05/2015 09:06:51 GMT Daylight Time, LRRSA@... writes:

Michael, in this photo, is that turntable remnants adjacent to where the track curves off into the grass?

https://flic.kr/p/tyMMQV

Cheerz

halfpilotsfaff