Re: the SA V class 0-4-4RT [2 Attachments]

Frank Stamford

Hello David,

Thanks for those illustrations, which are very interesting.

Perhaps I should explain the reason I am looking for an illustration of an earlier Forney 0-4-4T locomotive.

I am collecting information which may lead to a small article on the genesis of the SAR V class and the horse operations on the Kingston - Naracoorte line. Ideally I would like to have an illustration of a Forney as running in New York in 1871, which is apparently what inspired Carl Pihl to suggest the Forney concept to Charles Beyer (of Beyer Peacock).

(From what I have read the horses were about 30 times more efficient when hauling on the railway compared to the road - but the road was absolutely terrible!)

On 13 Jun 2015, at 10:53 pm, "'David Halfpenny (gmail)' david.halfpenny@... [LRRSA]" <LRRSA@...> wrote:

On 13 Jun 2015, at 03:51, Frank Stamford frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

On 2/06/2015 8:09 PM, 'Peterson, John J' peterson.john.j@... [LRRSA] wrote:

I have been looking for an illustration of a very early Forney without success. So far the earliest I have found is an 1876 example, No.26 of the New York & Harlem Railroad. If anyone knows of an illustration of an earlier example I would be very interested. Note this example has flanges on all driving wheels.

Frank,

Ariel and Puck of the Billerica and Bedford RR went into service in 1877, so they aren’t exactly earlier, but they were definitely flangeless on the driving axle (the one next to the cab), and emphatically designed to run cab-forward (see ‘cow-catcher’ and main headlamp - and on the two foot way as well.

Note from the Scale of feet on the drawing that the effective wheelbase (centre of Bissell truck to the coupled axle) is only 12 feet.

David