Re: the SA V class 0-4-4RT

Frank Stamford

On 2/06/2015 8:09 PM, 'Peterson, John J' peterson.john.j@... [LRRSA] wrote:
�

Are there any other RT of note?

�

I have been doing some more probing on the SAR V class 0-4-4Ts, a class of locomotives which I have always found most intriguing.

It seems there was one other class of 0-4-4 back-tanks in Australia. In 1880 the Holdfast Bay Railway Company (South Australia) obtained two 5ft 3in gauge 0-4-4Ts with back tanks, specifically designed to cope with heavy excursion traffic on their North Terrace (Adelaide) to Glenelg railway. The locos came from Beyer Peacock and the HBR requested 4-4-0Ts with a maximum axle load of 8.5 tons for 50 lb rails. The weight distribution problem could only be solved by making them 0-4-4T back tanks. Unlike other Forney derived locomotives, these had inside cylinders. They later became GD class of South Australian Railways and were taken out of service in 1925.

It seems to have been accepted over a very long time that the V class was purchased as a replacement for horses on the Kingston - Naracoorte line. This is misleading. The decision to work the line with steam was made while the line was still under construction, and the order for the locomotives was placed during the line's construction. It is true that an informal arrangement was made when the rails had reached Naracoorte for private individuals to use their own horses to haul produce on the railway, but the SAR never ran a service with horses, V class locomotives were used from the time the line was officially opened.

With regard to the flangeless driving wheels on the Forneys, only the earliest Forneys used on the New York elevated railways (of which there were a number, operated by different companies) had flangeless drivers, later ones had flanges on all wheels (and obviously controlled side movement on the bogies). Similarly, not all the Maine 2ft Forneys had flanges on all wheels, some of the first ones had flangeless drivers.

I have been looking for an illustration of a very early Forney without success. So far the earliest I have found is an 1876 example, No.26 of the New York & Harlem Railroad. If anyone knows of an illustration of an earlier example I would be very interested. Note this example has flanges on all driving wheels.