From: LRRSA@... [mailto:LRRSA@...]
Sent: Saturday, 18 April 2015 10:09 AM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Baldwin nineteenth century locomotives - their art and architecture

Thanks for the tip-off Frank - I bought the online version.

It’s very illuminating for people, like me, used to British systems.

David 1/2d

former Project Manager, Rail Vehicle Records

and Information Manager, Rolling Stock Leasing Companies,

British Railways Board

On 14 Apr 2015, at 08:21, frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

The April 2015 issue of 'Australian Railway History' (published by Australian Railway Historical Society, NSW Div.) has an extremely interesting 18 page article by David Fletcher titled 'The art and architecture of the early American locomotive imports to New South Wales'.

Whilst it purports to be about the U 105 class and J 131 class locomotives, which were mainline 4-4-0 and 2-8-0 locomotives built by Baldwin, the article is much more than that, and should be very useful to anyone with an interest in nineteenth century Baldwin locomotives.

The article includes a brief history of Baldwin, and a detailed explanation of their methods of designing and managing the manufacture of locomotives. It also includes a detailed discussion on the influences of classical architecture on the designs of nineteenth century American locomotives. There are many excellent illustrations.

The information on the elaborate liveries applied to the locomotives is given in great detail, and the coloured drawings of the Baldwin 4-4-0 and 2-8-0 locomotives supplied to NSW are beautiful works of art.

If you have an interest in nineteenth century Baldwin locomotives this is well worth seeking out. It should be available at good newsagents.

An enormous amount of careful work is behind this article and it deserves wide circulation I think.

A version is also available online from an organisation called Pocketmags. Google 'pocketmags' and you should be able to find it on their website.