Re: Armstrong Holland locos from Wyangala Dam

rthorne475

My apologies.  Yes, it is Mt Hallon.  Blame my poor eyesight for the error.

Richard Horne

From: "'John Browning' ceo8@... [LRRSA]"
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Sunday, 15 March 2015, 10:40
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Armstrong Holland locos from Wyangala Dam

The three Armstrong Holland 3ft gauge locomotives that went to Somerset Dam were the first diesel locomotives made in Australia (in spite of what has been written elsewhere) and I think our first diesel locomotives. I have heard that they were designed by Felix Caldwell. They had been built in 1930 for Wyangala Dam.

Wyangala Dam also had at least two smaller Armstrong Holland locomotives supposedly built in 1930-1.
They resembled Days tractors and they were fitted with engine units from agricultural tractors. I have assumed they were petrol-powered.
One of these at least is thought to have gone to Burrinjuck Dam in 1938, and was still there in recent years. I see that Richard Horne thinks similarly.

Mr Boone was situated at MT HALLON.

There is a series of Jim Longworth articles In ARHS Bulletin that provide some details of these and other MWS&DB construction locos.

John Browning
Brisbane
Australia

Armstron Holland locos from Wyangala Dam

Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:56 pm (EST) . Posted by:

dopeydimwit

G’day
Back on June 26.2008 Bob McKillop, in a reply to a question about a Burrinjuck Dam hopper wagon said:
“Three Armstrong-Holland rail tractors and hopper
wagons were transferred from the Wyangala Dam site to Burrinjuck for use on
this project. I understand that one of the rail tractors is still at
Burrinjuck, although this may not be currently on public display.”

While researching the construction of Somerset Dam, near Brisbane, I came across a photo of an Armstrong Holland loco in the Queensland Library’s collection that someone has captioned as “Substation, Compressor Plant and Workshop’s 12 ton Diesel Loco …” and dated 8.4.37

While following that trail of that loco I came across a discussion back in 2004 on Railpage where someone suggested that the three Armstrong Holland locos from Wyangala Dam went from there to a dam construction “near Brisbane” and were subsequently scrapped.

Can anyone offer some suggestion as to which is the more likely scenario? I’m not sure that anyone would describe the loco in the photo as a “rail tractor’; even before I saw the caption the loco looked like a hefty little beast and not what I would have thought of as a “rail tractor”

Thanks in advance