From: LRRSA@... [mailto:LRRSA@...]
Sent: Friday, 6 February 2015 9:58 AM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: Re: : Re: [LRRSA] 28.3 Climax

I rode the Railcruiser near Rotorua in Jan 2013 and it was very good. It took them a very long time to get all the required approvals, especially for the vehicles. The "golf carts" are computer-controlled petrol-electric hybrids. On the run downhill they run on battery power only but at the bottom they are turned on a small turntable and the petrol engine started for the run back up the hill. The cars are started off about 150 metres apart and an onboard radar system will slow the car down and then stop it if it gets too close to the car in front. I think it was about 6 cars running on the day I went. On the run up the hill may car was catching up to the one in front as I was the only occupant in mine and the one in front had two larger passengers so it going slower. The only control the occupant has is a handbrake for emergencies and a radio to talk to the controller. At various points there are transponders in the track to trigger the car to slow to see something of interest and also trigger the onboard commentary.

Regards,

Chris