Re: : Re: 28.3 Climax

David Martin <davidmart@...>

An even more exciting trip on a New Zealand line is the “Forgotten World” experience between Taumarunui and Stratford on the old disused North Taranaki line.

They use petrol powered modified golf buggies and one can make either a one or two day trip. There are 10 tunnels on the line  and some amazing scenery. The Australian Authorities would be having major hear attacks over this line.

New Zealand is lucky with Heritage Rail and has a lot to offer.

David Martin

Sent: Friday, 6 February 2015 9:58 AM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: Re: : Re: [LRRSA] 28.3 Climax

I rode the Railcruiser near Rotorua in Jan 2013 and it was very good. It took them a very long time to get all the required approvals, especially for the vehicles. The "golf carts" are computer-controlled petrol-electric hybrids. On the run downhill they run on battery power only but at the bottom they are turned on a small turntable and the petrol engine started for the run back up the hill. The cars are started off about 150 metres apart and an onboard radar system will slow the car down and then stop it if it gets too close to the car in front. I think it was about 6 cars running on the day I went. On the run up the hill may car was catching up to the one in front as I was the only occupant in mine and the one in front had two larger passengers so it going slower. The only control the occupant has is a handbrake for emergencies and a radio to talk to the controller. At various points there are transponders in the track to trigger the car to slow to see something of interest and also trigger the onboard commentary.

Regards,

Chris

----- Original Message -----

LRRSA@...

To:

"LRRSA@..."

Cc:

Sent:

Thu, 5 Feb 2015 21:43:24 +0000 (UTC)

Subject:

Re: : Re: [LRRSA] 28.3 Climax

Noel,

The main 'Speeder' group in the USA, NARCOA, have an underwriter that covers their operations and  they  levee their operating members a reasonable annual fee. 

Australia has ASSCO  which operate Section Cars in Queensland at present. They are licensed as an accredited rail operator and in a nut shell they carry  the same insurance as other hysterical society's in Australia. Its not  cheap and has a major excess.

Closed lines in Australia are 'no go' due to numerous issues of accreditation and safety. Such operations, as in New Zealand, would have to operate under a society guise on a society accredited line. Rail Track Riders in Maydena, Tasmania are one group in Australia that is vaguely like   what happens in New Zealand but on a very very much smaller scale. To have the scale and operation that New Zealand enjoys in Australia the operators would have to obtain full accreditation as a rail operator. Only then would they be able to apply for insurance and operate. They would also have to get the "Golf Carts", accredited as a rail vehicle..This is not the forum to go into what work would be required but it  would be on the major scale list.

To have  what is happening on the  grand scale that New Zealand enjoys on closed lines will never happen in Oz due to the Mindless Nanny State Rail Safety Draconian Mentality that infests the Australian Railway industry.

The “Sheffield Conquest" was back in 1988. No Nanny State back then and the insurance  arrangements they had back then belong to those times and need to stay there! Some  twenty seven years on it is completely irrelevant to today's draconian times.

Mark

Victoria

On Friday, 6 February 2015, 0:24, "'Noel Reed' noelreed10@... [LRRSA]" wrote:

How do they deal with the insurance problem in the USA. I have seen You Tube videos of regular runs by convoys of “Speeders” on normally operational railroads.

In New Zealand there is a business using hi-rail golf carts for tourists on a disused railway including several tunnels. I would assume that appropriate insurance

Are there any such operations on Australian disused railways ?  What were the insurance and safety arrangements for the “Sheffield Conquest” trolley event some time ago from Perth to Sydney ?

Noel Reed.

Sent: Thursday, 5 February 2015 6:01 PM

Plus carrying passengers on a motor quad,  would attract a very hefty insurance liability cover.

Brian
Qld. Aust.

Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 10:27 AM

On 5 Feb 2015, at 11:23 am, "'Noel Reed' noelreed10@... [LRRSA]" <LRRSA@...> wrote:

What happened to “Spirit of Salts” ?

It was destroyed in an accident about forty years ago.

Does P B  have any other small passenger carrying railcars ?

No, they do not.

Regards,

Frank

Such a vehicle could be useful to carry small groups on charter trips.

Noel Reed.

Sent: Thursday, 5 February 2015 10:30 AM
Subject: RE: : Re: [LRRSA] 28.3 Climax

“Spirit of Salts” no longer exists.

David

Sent: Wednesday, 4 February 2015 9:56 PM
Subject: RE: : Re: [LRRSA] 28.3 Climax

Could rail transport on the Puffing Billy railway for a small group of people be provided by charter of the Postal Motor which was as I remember numbered  NK1 (aka Spirit of Salts) ? I recall this motor being turned in the forecourt of Wangaratta station.

At that time 14A was not in steam as it was not the day for the weekly goods train to Whitfield.

I have also ridden from Targoora to Wangaratta on one of NK1’s predecessors, a standard ganger’s quadricycle with a trailer loaded with mail bags and other miscellaneous small items .

Noel Reed.

Sent: Wednesday, 4 February 2015 7:49 PM

On 4/02/2015 18:38, rodsmith@... [LRRSA] wrote:

I (and others) now have to choose between Emerald bailout, or Nightrider. 

or going as a passenger in someone else's car, or getting a taxi with some of these 'others' to share the cost.

Why do you think Puffing Billy should have to adjust its schedules for the small proportion of the population that has no transport of their own, cannot/won't get lifts with other people, and won't use taxis? And if it did, it would potentially create yet another problem if there are delays and the last train is missed - would you then expect that they should provide transport for you?

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.5646 / Virus Database: 4281/9052 - Release Date: 02/03/15

Version: 2015.0.5646 / Virus Database: 4281/9056 - Release Date: 02/04/15

Version: 2015.0.5646 / Virus Database: 4281/9057 - Release Date: 02/04/15

Version: 2015.0.5646 / Virus Database: 4281/9056 - Release Date: 02/04/15

Email sent using Optus Webmail

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.