Re: Nauru Tramway

John Browning

I have been to Nauru more recently.

I didn’t see the Thomas Hill locomotive that Rod photographed at Central Workshops but that might be because it could have been on the opposite side of the building.

Otherwise his report and observations were confirmed.

On the 3ft gauge on Nauru there were five Clyde 0-6-0DH locos similar to cane locomotives and two later British Thomas Hill 4wDH locos.

There had previously been 3ft and 2ft gauge steam locomotives as well as two GE wire electrics.

For more complete details of these and the locomotives on Ocean Island, we’ll have to wait for David Jehan’s forthcoming book on the subject.

John

John Browning

Brisbane

Australia