Re: Best gauge - Peat railways

Phil Rickard <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>

Unless I've missed it, I can't recall anyone mentioning Russia and the
USSR to date.
According to Keith Chester (Narrow Gauge Steam Locomotives in Russia
and the Soviet Union), total USSR n.g. milage peaked at about 50,000km
by the early 1960's, mainly 750mm gauge.
There is a chapter by Sergei Dorozhkov entitled "Steam in the Swaps –
Peat Railways" and it transpires that there were several thousand
miles, again mainly 750mm-gauge, used in the peat bogs transporting
peat to electricity generating stations and industrial concerns.
For a fascinating read I can thoroughly recommend Keith's book.

Cheers Phil