the McIvor triangle

Eddie Oliver

Frank Stamford's McIvor tramway book is just brilliant in all respects -
congratulations, Frank, on a superb effort of both preparation and
production.

One of the most frequently appearing elements is the Triangle. It is
totally unclear to me why the triangle was ever installed, and I have a
feeling that if we had a greater understanding of that question, some
other mysterious things would fall more into place as well.

One possible explanation is that it was contemplated as a way of turning
the locos to minimise the wear that would result from them always
running in one direction, yet it seems that they usually ran in one
direction - presumably to handle the steep gradients better. But is it
possible that (at least at some stage) the preferred loco orientation
was opposite north of the triangle from what it was south thereof? That
would also add extra meaning to the bits about changing locos at the
triangle (page 45)?

How long was the apex of the triangle? And are there any photos of it
(despite the frequent mentions, it seems to have missed out from getting
photos in the book)?