Re: : Re: Re:: Fw: Heathcote Junction - North Bendigo Railway & Tramways

rthorne475

Thank you, Colin.

Richard

To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Tuesday, 12 August 2014, 7:20
Subject: Re: : Re: [LRRSA] Re:: Fw: Heathcote Junction - North Bendigo Railway & Tramways

Fairly sure it was horse haulage. There was a hill between the extraction site and the station that would be too steep for humans (unless you had a team of slaves). If locos were used it would have been mentioned in the local Council minutes I think.

Colin 

----- Original Message -----
LRRSA@...

To:
"LRRSA@..."
Cc:

Sent:
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 23:36:26 +0100
Subject:
Re: : Re: [LRRSA] Re:: Fw: Heathcote Junction - North Bendigo Railway & Tramways

Colin,

What was the motive power: man, horse or internal combustion?

Richard Horne

To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Sunday, 10 August 2014, 2:31
Subject: Re:: Re: [LRRSA] Re:: Fw: Heathcote Junction - North Bendigo Railway & Tramways

My notes indicate that the tramway was operated by Mollison Sand & Gravel Pty Ltd 1927-1933
This company was extracting sand from Mollisons Creek upstream from the town. The 2ft gauge tramway crossed what is now the Northern Highway immediately north of the bridge over Mollisons Creek.
Until a few years ago there were sleepers still visible near the site of the loading chute.

I also seem to recall seeing a sign lying in the grass in Pyalong yard, not long after the railway closed, that said something like 'Tramway Trucks Must Not Pass the Post'. This sounds more like broad gauge trucks not being allowed on VR track.

Colin

Email sent using Optus Webmail

Join LRRSA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.