Re: The narrow gauge question? Best gauge?

Frank Stamford

Ron,

Yes well I said the Saxon 75 cm gauge lines used Rollwagen not Rollböcke,
and I think that statement is correct, I was not speaking of Saxon metre
gauge lines.

It would be reasonable to assume that Rollwagen would be more stable on 75
cm gauge than Rollböcke. But 75 cm gauge Rollböcke were used in
Wuerttemburg on at least three lines, one was the Oechslebahn, another was
the Federseebahn, and the third the Bottwartalbahn.
I have a video of Wuerttemburg narrow-gauge lines and the standard-gauge
vans on the 75 cm gauge Rollböcke look very precarious to me!

At 04:55 PM 10/02/2007, you wrote:

Frank

I think on this occasion we both score half a point <grin>

According to "Schmalspur zwischen Ostsee und Erzgebirge", Rollboecke were
used in Saxony at Reichenbach and just over the border
on the Forster Stadtbahn (beautiful little Chiemseebahn style steam tram
locos). Both of these were metre gauge rather than 750mm. This rather
endorses the discusiion that has been going on regarding stability and gauge
Obviously Rollboecke were less stable than Rollwagen, and therefore not
suitable for the narrower gauge. That also endorses the fact that the L&M
carriers were not suitable for the narrower Ashover. Both bogie fouling and
a tendency to tip over on curves must have made evn the 1934 test seem quite
hazardous.

Ron M.