Re: Advert of the week 5

Eddie Oliver

On 6/04/2014 11:30, jkgaraty@... wrote:

Could it have been one of the steam trams that used to run to Wallsend? I was told by my father that they used to run out that way. He grew up in Wallsend during the 1930's and 40's. From memory there used to be part of a steam tram attached to the wall on one of the Newcastle Government bus stations. I can remember my father pointing it out to me in the early 1960's and telling me about "Hellfire Jack" (Mcvey?) one of the Newcastle steam tram drivers.

The steam trams to West Wallsend and Speers Point closed in 1930, I think?

There is a nice summary of the Newcastle electric tramway system (with some steam tram references) written by Noel Reed at
http://tdu.to/128045/NEWCASTLE%20TRAMWAY%20MEMORIES_Noel_Reed.pdf
He quotes 1932 rather than 1930.